Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
new guy here. i live in Florida. do alot of fishing. hog hunting and turkey hunt here. I lease property in Georgia for deer and turkey. looking forward to chatting with y'all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Welcome. Got a question for ya. What caliber do you use for hogs? Im headed to AL this winter to get a few.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome. Got a question for ya. What caliber do you use for hogs? Im headed to AL this winter to get a few.

Thanks in advance.
i use a .270 for open areas. 12 guage with 00 buck for thick areas. in my .270 i shoot a 130 gr hornady SST for hogs and deer.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK got another one for ya. Would a .223 work or is it too light a load?
.223 will work. as a former hog hunt guide, it will work. but shot placement is very important. don't go with cheaper ammo. the last thing you want, is to try and find a wounded hog. they tend to be alittle mad when wounded.lol. head shots or neck (what little neck they have) the ear hole is a nice target also. if that shot is not given to you. right behind the shoulder will work. unless it is a very large hog. they grow battle plates which will slow down if not stop a bullet. their heart is low in the chest.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Greetings from Vermont & Welcome to the Club!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
New

Hello, I am new here as well. This was my first season hunting and I have scene deer but have not got a chance for a good shot. I have two boys who wanted to learn to hunt so I am learning along with them. To be honest I did not think I would like it but now I can't get enough of it. This site is great and I think it will help us bag a good one.

Thanks for helping the newbee from Alabama.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts