Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Northeast Ohio and it's supposed to reach 68 degrees today. My son and I are planning on going out when he gets home from school. I'm just wondering if the deer will be moving on such a warm day.

thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
The rut is here. Warm weather may slow down the movement but will not stop it. No matter what spend as much time on stand as possible for the next 2 to 3 weeks. Warm, rain, snow, wind, or plague of black birds------HUNT!:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am hunting in cental ohio and the deer are not moving until late between 2:30 am and 5:00am. It is going to be very warm for the next three days. I am saving vacation till next week. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Many on this forum say that rut is in but i have yet to beleive that i have seen one buck in two weeks. it seems to me that each area is much different even in the same state.​

·
Registered
790 Posts
This time of year things happen fast. If you are sitting around waiting instead of doing the leg work you are going to miss the boat. Here in Md. we can not hunt on Sundays however I scouted from 8 am to 4:30 pm just to stay on top of deer patterns. While I was out I located 2 shooter bucks over 150". Not only located but visually saw them and by using the wind neither buck ever knew I was there. Success does not find you, you have to find success. Note one buck was up and moving at 1pm, the other was bedded 80 to 100 yards down wind of a main doe bedding area. On my Sat. hunt I grunted in 7 bucks between 2 and 3pm. Bucks are ready for some hunter to give him a dirt nap. I for one am not going to sit on my couch waiting to hear about someone elses luck I'm going to make my own. It only takes seconds to release an arrow or fire a shot. Now that being said how long does it take to shoot a buck of a life time. If the deer on your favorite spot are not being seen get in your truck and go somewhere else. Even if you can only get out for an hour or two my advice is do it. There is no better time than right now.:thumbup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Agreed, here in PA not seeing much action either. I am putting out the scents, grunting, everything but taking reservations and nothing yet. I did see a 4 point on Sat come right up to my scent wick but that's it so far. I guess the trick is to just get out there...You gotta be in it to win it. Don't get discouraged and keep trying.

Incidentally, does grunting still work now that the rut is beginning? I understand bleats don't really work anymore. I just can't seem to call anything in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think the rut is in full swing yet. The other morning i was in my stand and my brother in law was in his behind me and to my right about 100yds. A buck came out of nowhere and ended up right behind my stand. He never saw me, but i couldn't get a shot. As he was leaving I tried my tip can call and he never even looked my way. As he kept walking away my brother in law started rattling, nothing. I wasn't so much suprised that he didn't come back, but i was surprised that he didn't even acknowledge the calls.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yea not sure I hold much value in the calls. I've tried them but to no avail yet. Just got the Deer Can call (doe in heat bleat) in a can...tried today for first time. Nothing so far. In fact haven't seen anything but a 4 point last Sat. That's it this season so far. Four days left here! Hopefully this rut starts soon!

Incidentally, did you have any scents out when this buck was in your area? Or did your in law have any scents? Just curious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Getting a late start this year!

I will be hunting in northwest ohio during the thanksgiving holliday using my crossbow, and the monday following thanksgiving I'll be in licking county with a shotgun! Hopefully, I'll get my buck with the crossbow! The deer here in central ohio seem to be acting the same way they did before hunting season began!

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
When I left north Central PA Thursday the bucks were really on the move. I agree with wmi, now is the time to be on stand. I do know that warm weather will slow the rut or at least slow down the daily movement times of the deer. Call & scents do work at certain times. I use estrus scents everyday I hunt the rut. The only different advice I can offer is I prefer to locate a buck and hunt him rather than hunt does and hope a buck is following. I like catching a buck on his normal travel routes. Even though the rut is on bucks still will follow their safe travel routes. That is why I set up using the estrus scent on a natural scrape line. You have to get out and scout to locate these buck travel routes. I don't have the property or the time that wmi spends but read his posts about locating bucks and you will increase your buck kills.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts