Deer Hunting Forums banner

Has anyone paid to hunt one of the big Texas ranches

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Karl.Luhr 
The previous post is correct, You can pay that much for REALLY NICE bucks. I hunt a lot of different places here in Texas and know a lot of different ranchers. What are you wanting to hunt.....just whitetail? or are you talking exotics? How much are you wanting to spend? I can definatley help you out and point you in the right direction and put you in contact with some different ranchers. Just tell me what part of Texas are you wanting to hunt and give me some of the particulars. post it here or send me a private message

Okay first things first. The out of state license. It can be pricey but you can get a non resident 5 day hunting license and it will run you about $50 per license or so. If your boys were born after September 2, 1971, they have to have a hunter's education course.And if you are planning on bowhunting, you will each have to have a bowhunting endorsement on your license (about an extra $7 or $8). You do not have to put your names into a draw and you don't have to purchase deer tags like you do in some other states. Your $50 license will include 2 doe tags, 3 buck or doe tag, 2 mule deer tag, 4 turkey tags. Now hunting the hill country is where you will see the most animals but it is not the most expensive part of the state. The south Texas plains(brush country) is the most expensive. I have seen leases go for $10,000 -$20,000 per gun and they tell you what you can harvest. And no, those numbers are not typo's. East Texas piney woods you can find leases for less than $1,000 per family for the entire season. In the hill country you can find leases for $1500 to $2500 per gun per season.
Now for package hunts or day hunts. There are some very good large ranches here that offer 2-5 day hunts where you can spend $200-$300 per day (like a trespass fee) and then pay the trophy fee for what you kill. $1,000-$2,000 depending on what you kill. and some are just a flkat rate to go and kill a certain class buck. Those prices USUALLY include the buck and a doe. sometimes a turkey and almost always all the hogs and predators that you care to harvest. Send me a pm with the dollar amount that you had in mind, if it is not getting to personal, and I will in turn forward you some contact info on some of the better, more reputable ranches in the hill countrty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.