Deer Hunting Forums banner

Has anyone paid to hunt one of the big Texas ranches

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Karl.Luhr 
#1 ·
Have any of the Members headed down to Texas to hunt on one of the big ranches that offer out of State hunters access for Deer hunting? I am considering taking my sons down there if it would be fair chase, and not to expensive. I don't want to hunt over feeders or watering stations. Just spending time with the boys would be fun, but watching them shoot a nice buck would be a blast.

Karl

Discussion starter · #4 ·
More on hunting in Texas..

I am not rich, and have the fun of my oldest starting college at Iowa State this fall. I was wondering if a guide is required to hunt Texas, or if some ranchers have just a trespass fee to allow out of State hunters on their ranch. I know when I was in basic with the Air Force that San Antonio TX was basically desert. I would want to hunt in more rolling hills, but I don't know the rest of the State well enough to narrow it down. What I would want is just a chance at whitetail deer, I think that the taking of exotics cost alot more. But I could be totally wrong with that. Any info that Members could share on costs and what you get for that cost would be helpful. If cost was not a factor I would take the boys to Idaho after Elk, I have gone twice (before marrage/before kids). It was great I am very lucky to have done it. I think the price has gone through the roof for full service Idaho outfitters that do everything for you but pull the trigger.

Karl in Minnesota...

Discussion starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info on Texas hunting..

I don't think I will be able to do anything this fall until we find out just how broke college is going to make us. I might be able to again move forward on this later. The information you offered is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks for the help, the deals that ranches have for family access really sounds like a nice way to go. I have been on horseback guided hunts. Now it would be something more in the line of getting permission to drive onto the ranch using an access road to point a and set up a tent and hunt using the tent as the strike off point for hunting.

Karl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.