Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a new remington 30-06 !! It has so much more kick than my .243 the first time i shot it the gun recoiled and the scope hit my forehead lol, woke me up real quick. i would like to upgrade the scope though, any suggestions or reviews for this gun or a particular scope? (i usually bow hunt so i dont know which is which when it comes to rifles)

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
3X9X40 is a good scope for deer hunting. Most scope face hits are short eye relief and shooting from a prone position. Most scopes with a 3" eye relief should keep things from face contact. This is simply the distance from the eye to the scope that allows the full diameter sight picture to be clear. If your scope is correctly set up for you then every time you shoulder the rifle the scope sight picture will be clear. Everyone's rifle/scope mounting should be set for them and then re-sight the gun at the range. As for scope brands, Leupold is a great make, the older Redfields hold up to anything, don't know about the new ones, Burris, Nikon, lots out there to look at.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the gun is a remington model 700 bolt action 30-06. the scope appears to be generic but does say 3-9 X 40 on it. at the gun range it was OKAY zoom at 100 yards. but just not quite happy with it. hope that helps. and thanks for the link WisconsinDeer, hope yall beat them Buckeyes this weekend

·
Registered
824 Posts
"OSU Buckeyes #1 right now not the other OSU as in sooners! I hope after next Sat night they remain there!"

Did you think that "someone" could post something like this and NO ONE comment back???

Just for giggles and grins, the Sooners are from OU. The "other" team in the state is the OSU Cowboys. Had to set the record straight!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Notes on replacement scopes

I don't know your finances, but if you can afford it I would recommend that you plan on spending atleast 150.xx for your new scope. I agree that the new Redfield line of scopes are alot of scope for the money. I also think that you get alot of scope when you buy from Nikon. I personally have several Leopolds which I like but they are going to cost over 350.xx for the vari-x 3s. I also recently bought a Nikon African series that I like as much as my Leopolds but it's price was around 250.xx. For the extra 75-100 dollars over the cheap scopes you will get better lenses and better coatings on the lenses. This is not always obvious in the store but you will see it out in the woods. Another area where quality matters is in the scope adjustments. Better scopes do what you ask of them, two clicks in a direction actually will move your group in the direction selected and the amount selected. Another thing to think about is the scopes around 150.xx should not have a moving zero when you change the scope from say 3 to 9 power.

Karl

·
Registered
852 Posts
A new future hunter named Hunter...

Congradulations on the future hunter. I would recommend you try to buy the expensive toys now. In 18 years you get the pleasure of paying for college. I am in that mode for the first time this year. It isn't any fun...

Karl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.