Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It will be interesting to see what everyone uses to clean/care for their guns. This may sound strange but after proper cleaning I coat/polish all my guns with Bruce's wood floor wax. I been using this for over 20 years and it works! I have never had a rust issue and believe it provides a good weather protection.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I use all Hoppes solvents and lubricant products, I've never ever had any rust develop.

G

·
hoppe's solvent. outters oil. I use an expanding foam once in a while to get the copper fouling but can remember who makes it. then clean again with hoppe's.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have always used an old wash cloth to wipe the whole gun and stock down with thin coat of Vaseline and then I use another wash cloth to wipe it down again to remove the excess. I hunt a lot in the rain and I don't develop any rust...I'm pretty anal about cleaning them after every hunt or visit to the shooting range.

·
Registered
798 Posts
After trying lots of cleaning solvents over the years, here are a few that I really like and recommend: First is "Sweet's 7.62" - it is an aggressive cleaner which gets the job done fast and thoroughly. Next is "J-B Non-Embedding Bore Cleaning Compound" (from Brownell) - a paste that I use once or twice a year depending on how much shooting I've done.
Here's something you might try to test this product: clean your rifle your usual way, then use J-B. You'll be surprised at how much fouling comes out of your tube. This is especially useful for older guns that have had years of build-up even though you think that you've been cleaning them well. "Break Free" is another good cleaner/lubricant/preservative. Finally, I like the synthetic lubricants like "Hoppe's Elite" as a final coat after cleaning.

G

·
once seems to work. i got it at wally. i think it was outers. i'll look for it. spray it in the breech until it comes out the muzzle. wait 15min and run rags till they come out clean. then for good measure, and the smell, i clean with hoppes #9.
Couldn't find it, I must be out. Outers gunslick makes it but the can doesn't look right. There is a foam called Wipe Out that looks like the right can, well the colors are right. You can find Wipe Out at eabco.com. Outers could have changed the packaging since the last time I bought some. sorry about that but it was one of the two, but i'm 90% sure it was the outers gunslick.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks ronn I will try it, I also use Hoppes for the inside of the cleaning chores. I do however use Remington oil with teflon for all the moving parts.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i use a variety of stuff .the hoppes elite? is great stuff.you can clean your gun then use that stuff and more comes out of the "clean gun"I also use bore gel,and scent free gun oil.then everything gets wiped down with a silicone rag.clips and actions left open so they can "breathe" and for safety

1 - 14 of 14 Posts