Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it was in the mid 50s today and i got my first ground hog of the year shot him with my 17 hmr what cal do all of you use :thumbup:

·
Registered
820 Posts
Whatever I have with me when I see one,which is usually a .22...although for some reason they are protected here. :whistling: They're a worthless pest.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
They like to get under my father-in-laws sheds/barns (under the concrete). We typically get those M-80's and throw them under there to scare them out. Either that or smoke 'em out with smoke bombs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
We like to use a 204 Ruger for those pesky rodents but we have also used our deer rifles before it makes for good target practice in the off season. Might be a little overkill but it really helps for those times you get a 300-400 yard shot on them.

G

·
22.250rem 700 with the 26" heavy barrel. trigger set to 1.5 lbs shooting a hornady 40gr moly v-max. my best is 510 yards on a crawling woodchuck/ground hog/whistle pig. i would like to take a weekend and go to pa with my buddy to do nothing but shoot whistle pigs and help the farmer out.

·
Registered
608 Posts
53 Chevy out burnin around the fields doin donuts and goofing off.
Hey it wasn"t my fault, he should have paid more attention.
daddus

·
Registered
824 Posts
Prairie Dawgs

Many, many years ago, a friend of mine invited me out to Montana. The ranchers out there had a big problem with the prairie dogs, the livestock stepping in the holes in the ground and breaking legs, stuff like that. So the ranchers didn't mind the occasional person coming along with a .22 thereabouts and whacking a few of the ornery critters. So we took a couple of Ruger .22 pistols out and drove along the edges of the ranchers properties taking pot shots at the little furry critters. Face it - .22 rounds are cheap, guns are fun to shoot, so what better way to spend the afternoon having fun and helping out the ranchers. :boxing:

So I guess to answer your question - .22 long rifle in a semi-auto Ruger pistol.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Never have hunted groundhogs before but have shot a lot of snappers and .22 works really well.

Have any of you guys seen videos on youtube of some people shooting prairie dogs with a .50 cal.!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts