Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am only thinking at this point about the possibility of hunting from a ground blind sometime this fall. like anyone else in the market I would like to find an inexpensive by, anyone's standards.and one that meets the requirements of tough hunting and has the durability to survive it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
a) I like making a ground blind on the go with some camo net around 2-3 trees. Not really tall, just enough to break my outline, about a yard high from the ground

As long as my jaket blaze orange can be seen through the holes in the net and some part of me can be visible above the net (say head, when I am not hiding behind the net mode) - I am satisfying blaze orange requirements (and I have a few cheap blaze orange jackets to put above the net on a branch to make it sure).

(my source - word of a game warden, I hope such understanding is universal among them ;) )

b) I don't know about Illinois, but in Wisconsin, if you get a full-size ground blind, you need to have 144 sq inches of blaze orange visible from any direction... And I haven't seen any blind on sale satisfying that requirement.

·
Registered
820 Posts
MrFox - I heard that 144 sq in. of blaze orange being visible on a ground blind only applied to public hunting grounds and not private land. Have you heard anything about this?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In Illinois, the only time balze orange requirments are in effect is during gun season when bow hunting is allowed.

The info you posted is an interesting option and I may end up considering it before all is said and done. but what I was really looking for was an enclosure type ground blind. when on the ground your cover scent and scent eliminators are really put to the test and and enclosure just adds to your odds of staying concealed. IMO anyway.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I have a pop up blind that I use for my wife and grandson when they hunt but I have never used one. In the hill and valley hardwoods I usually hunt I have never felt the need for a blind. When I hunt from the ground, which I do for most of the riffle season I will usually sit in a fold out chair with my back to a tree. I don't like having my vision limited by having to look through a window.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a pop up blind that I use for my wife and grandson when they hunt but I have never used one. In the hill and valley hardwoods I usually hunt I have never felt the need for a blind. When I hunt from the ground, which I do for most of the riffle season I will usually sit in a fold out chair with my back to a tree. I don't like having my vision limited by having to look through a window.
I agree. I use to hunt from the ground all the time in rifle season. I never had a blind. Although I carried a small set of pruners and would cut a limb or two and stick them in front of me. My wife wants a blind and I'll prolly get her one this year.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I also hunt from the ground in rifle season, looking for high ground with back drop. I've never used a ground blind but there are times when the freezing rain or snow makes me think one would be good!

·
Registered
86 Posts
MrFox - I heard that 144 sq in. of blaze orange being visible on a ground blind only applied to public hunting grounds and not private land. Have you heard anything about this?
I believe the wording on the P.21 of the regulations is very clear on this subject.

"All ground blinds used on DNR-controlled lands (does not include MFL or FCL lands) during any gun deer season must display at least 144 square inches of solid blaze orange material visible from all directions around the blind."

So, this rule (unlike generic Blaze Orange above vest) applies only to DNR-controlled lands.

Also it applies (P.21) "In any area of the state where a firearm deer season is open (including the regular 9-day hunt, muzzleloader season, October 10–11 Youth Hunt, October and December 4-day antlerless only hunts, and CWD hunts)."

If you are waterfowl hunting, you don't need to bother with it though (that's another exception from blaze orange).

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still havent ruled out the use of a ground blind this year. espesially in October. I was at Gander mountain and looked at a couple Ameristep blinds. They are a little more than I originally wanted to pay, but after looking at some after market blinds and the quality they come with, I may have to pay a little more if I expect to ground hunt additional years in it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
i made a natural blind. After the loggers were done on the lease last summer, i went and collected some the trees that they left and built a small log cabin like blind.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
check out sportsman guide i bought one for 49 bucks
I dont know what the sportsman guide is but $49.00 sounds like a small blind. looking for a 70"+ high by 70"+ wide and long here. Ameristeps in this range arer going for 149. to 239. depending on the features you are willing to pay for.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok ok.
this deserves some further research.

I found one of the blinds I have been looking at and I can save 20.00 ordering it from sportsman guide.

Now the question is, and its the one I always ask when it comes to ordering online.

Is the savings worth the potential aggrevation if I need to send it back for one reason or another.

Store bought items can just be taken back with no problems and generally get a replacement on the spot.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I spend a ton of dollars annually with the Sportsmansguide. I've never had any issues with them,,
they're very good about their no hassle return policy..
I don't think you'll be disappointed dealing with them for purchases or returns .. Good Luck

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I have the ameristep G-30 & I am happy with it
would like the windows a little bigger but I have enjoyed hunting a lot more since I bought a blind I do still use my stands also but when the weather is crappy & I still want to hunt the blind is great

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picked up an ameristep brick house last week. just set it up today for the first time. its got some holes and tears in it. thats got me a little concerned. so I sent ameristep an email, we'll see what happens next.

other than that, pretty happy with the room. enough for two hunters if they are careful.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a blind. But have never used it. A buddy of mine has used the same old cabin for the past 3 years and has failed to not fill a tag. He says its better to use something the deer are used to. So it won't spook them. Makes a lot of sence to me. I'm gunna try to find one this year. Maybe something to think about for ya.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts