Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you who have seen my "broken ear" 10 point i've been watching on trail cameras... I finally got him last night. I bet I had 10 deer all around me, I waited until they were all looking away to draw back, but a small broken on one side buck saw me, so i had to release fast!! It was a good shot, right through the heart. Used the Magnus Stingers 4 blades, boy they did the trick. The entrance wound was about quarter size. Buck went probably 50 yds and I got to see him fall. AWESOME hunt!
Funny part about it is---- a neighbor who lives probably 600+ yds away from where I hunt watched the whole thing from her back deck w/her binoculars! She called to tell me GOOD SHOT! haha now that's funny!
Enjoy the pics... sorry about the blood... was getting late on me, and had to get him dressed and taken to the meat locker.

Attachments

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Totally Awesome Tator!!! Congratulations!

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
awsome to get the opportunity to get the buck you want Congrats

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Awesome, Awesome, Awesome.. I had to run to this thread after reading your post under your trail pics of this guy.

Congrats on getting to put a tag on him. I love hunting.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate it. Not bad for my first archery buck. Strangely enough, I stayed really calm the whole time. I had about 8-10 deer all around me within 15 yds. My stand sat facing the west and the wind was out of the north-northwest. The deer were coming from the north heading south into some woods for bedding down. At first, 2 young bucks came in from my right (from north) and one was a young 6 point and the other a spike. They continued south until they turned and about-faced and went back to towards the north on me. It's then I noticed the little guy was watching something behind me and to my right (my 5 o'clock location). It was two does and two fawns. They came right up to my tree within 5 yds and I was going to take one of these does, but then I saw coming from the North at my 2 o'clock, a couple bigger bucks. One had his side broke off and was a 3 point on that side, and the other was an 8 pt, probably a 2 1/2 year old. Then in the back was my broken ear buck. I had to wait for them to all file past me, and luckily the wind died and it was still. eventually I waited until they all had their heads down or were looking away, and I drew back.... but right below me and about 2 yds from my stand was that broken off buck--- he saw me. I had the pin on the 10 pt and I had to shoot quickly. From the time I drew back, till I released was probably 5 seconds. MUCH faster than I would've liked, but made a good shot and got to watch him fall- WHICH IS ALWAYS GOOD! Said a prayer thanking God for the opportunity and had him in my hands within 20 min of the hunt!
AWESOME experience.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Are u getting it mounted? That ear makes it very special. I have a mulie that had a split ear and the taxi was able to mount it with the split, it gives it character.
Congratulations on a very good character filled buck!!!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately no, i'm not getting it mounted. If I had my way I'd get every buck I take mounted. Unfortunately, my wife and I live on teacher's salaries, which isn't alot, and are trying to raise a family. I think I have her talked into getting one mounted every other year--(that is IF i get one every year). So basically, my buck from last year is getting mounted... not this year :eek:(
Feel free to donate funds for Tator to get his deer mounted!!! haha

·
Registered
388 Posts
A high quality photo enlarged to poster size in a nice frame would be cool too. Thats my plan when I harvest a nice buck. I would love to mount one but the cost is above my range - family first.

Congrats on the buck!!

·
Registered
986 Posts
sweeeeet, Hope my season starts as good as your.very nice deer.congrats on such a great blessing:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts