Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. I'm going on a guided elk hunt in october. The guide is a pretty good friend of the family. And he was saying to bring a gun I'm not to attatched to. Because it will get scratched and dinged atleast once. And that brings me to one of my .270's I picked up an marlin xl7 its an awesome gun for the price. But if it gets scratched I'll live. Iv only loaded 110's and 130's for it. But I'm told by a lot that the .270 with 150's will do a great job. What are some good 150gn rounds to load. I usually use imr4064 or varget. And reloader22. I have all on hand. I like nosler but heard they break up a lot. Any info would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Loading the 270 Win

I load a lot of 3006 for the range and on occasion Deer/Elk. I know that the Nosler Company makes a bullet for your 270 with Elk written on it. It's called either the Partition in 150gr or their Bonded bullet also in 150gr. I never read of anyone using 140gr in the 270 but if your rifle doesn't like the 150gr bullets they do offer them in 140gr.

Karl

·
Registered
798 Posts
You might also consider one of the solid copper or soilid guilding material bullets like the Barnes TSX or the Hornady GMX if you are worried about bullets breaking up. These pretty much go right through and since they penetrate so well, you can stick to the 130 grainers. This will give velocity, flat trajectory and deep penetration. Good luck on yourt elk hunt.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's good thinking one horse. But I'm afraid that with 130gn it will run and I'll never see him again. I actually had a dream about it running away. But with a clean threw and threw of the vitals. Do you honestly think a 130 would do it? I was also looking at the sierra 150gn spitser.

·
Registered
110 Posts
hey man,

if you are gonna elk hunt with it, use the Nosler 150 gr. CT partition gold Moly-free's. the load data for the RL22 is a minimum of 52.5 gr, and that will leave around 2675FPS, a medium of 54.5gr, will give you about 2750, and max of 57.5 gr. will give you about 2900FPS. its a great round, with a great BC. and its a fairly solid bullet and will give great penetration and expansion. good luck man! and if you really want something to sling, try the 160 gr. Partition semi spitzer. but like many say, the Barnes TSX are really good bullets too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts