Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend a good aftermarket stock for an A Bolt? I have looked at Hogue and McMillan stocks, but would like to hear from somebody who has experience in this arena.

·
Registered
986 Posts
why would you want to change the stock on a browning? Is it damaged or something? you looking for wood or synthetic? Browning has the synt. stock or check out the houge overmold style

·
Registered
852 Posts
If you don't like the A-bolt's finish have it refinished...

Labor isn't cheap but I bet that if you are trying to replace the shiney poly coated wood stock. I remember asking a Custom Gunsmith about it, I was looking at a Browning BAR. He said that he could boil off the old poly finish and refinish it with a rubbed oil finish. It was a lot of work, but he did alot of it for users that don't like the plastic poly coatings Browning likes to spray on.

Karl

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually the stock is fine. It is a European version of the A-Bolt, with the curved forend and high cheekpiece.

I like the stock pretty well, but was thinking of adding a high quality synthetic like a Hogue or McMillan to make the rifle more weather and abuse proof, as I am pretty hard on a rifle.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I have had good luck with laminated wood stocks

I had a M70 Featherweight with a laminated wood stock that I liked alot until my Son claimed it. It is very durable and doesn't show scratches. I think it is a nice alternative to fibreglass ones. Some of them sound tinny and look/feel like they are made of plastic.

Karl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts