Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my first year hunting hasn't been with much success. One more day to try it again, then rifle season is over. I spent three months scouting with some veteran hunters. Have what seems to be the perfect spot, A bottleneck ridge that opens up to a 3 acre food plot and a nice size creek. I went before season a few times with my stand and watched deer, thinking I was on to something. Now, here at the end of the season, everyday I see fresh droppings and fresh tracks, but no deer. I just assume they are comming out only at night. One evening I called in a nice 8 point with the grunt call, but by the time he came in sight it was about a half hour after dark, and didn't have a decent shot anyway, he made some blowing noise at me, stomped his feet and took off. So I guess i'll try it again tomorrow, and if it dont happen, well, I guess I can go buy a muzzle-loader. But for now, still looking for my first deer in Missouri. :wallbash:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think so, I didn't go to the stand for about two to three weeks before season, but i've been there everyday since season opened hunting. I've been seeing fresh tracks and dropping almost every morning.

G

·
I dont think so, I didn't go to the stand for about two to three weeks before season, but i've been there everyday since season opened hunting. I've been seeing fresh tracks and dropping almost every morning.
going there every day is burning out the stand. I try to have several set out oh say 100 yards apart using different parts of an area so not to burn one out. time after time of going to stand you can leave, scratch that, you will leave scent that can change the deers pattern. its best not sit a stand more than a couple times in a row without some good time off before the third sit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts