Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I've decided that I would like to give deer hunting a shot, and I was hoping to get some pointers. I recently purchased a Marlin 1895sbl not too long ago and would be using that as my firearm funds have been depleted. I'm just not sure how to find others to hunt with. I've never been so I would need some guidance from some more experienced hunters.

I have read some of the other first time hunter threads and have a good idea of what equipment I will need, just not sure how to find others in my area. I live in central MA.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
did you take your hunter safety class and get a license?

·
Registered
2 Posts
first of all as most of us will tell you hunting is great! so awesome choice of hobbies. alot of people buy pricey scents and stands but if your like me and on a budget all you need is some camo, a gun, and land to hunt. here are a few tips for you though.

1. go out and scout around where your going to hunt first, scouting is sometimes the difference between sitting for an hour and killing an awesome buck and sitting all day praying that one will stumble by lol

2. when you go please be wary of other hunters in the woods i know this seems like common sense but the buck fever catches quick so make sure of what your shooting first (sorry if i sound preachy i dont mean too)

3. if you hunt on the ground as i tend to do, find a good spot where you will be covered. i like dead pines that have fallen myself. or rocks work well also, just something to break up your outline.

4. if you want someone to hunt with try roping your kids or your girlfriend into comeing with you, but im thinking you want people that know about hunting so a hunting club is a good idea but pricey. i prefer to learn from the old timers who hunted before all the scents and calls and things, they can teach you some sweet tips and tricks you would never think of. so try them out.

thats about all i got lol happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
lots of good advice in that last post. i will add this. do not underestimate a deers nose. if you do, chances are not good that you will get a deer. not saying impossable, as i have taken a buck in jeens and tee shirt with no sent controle. but that was a 1 in a million chance. sent killer spray is not alot of $$$$. if for some reason you cant aford it, you will need to play the wind. put your self in a place were the wind is in your face and some obstical a at your back that a deer cant / wont cross. then you will be less likley to be "bussted".

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would say practice shooting.....A LOT. Although I agree with NH that deer have a very keen nose on them, if you can acurately and consistently shoot out past 200 yards, and get to your preferred hunting spot early enough.......scent controll won't make or brake you(in my opinion). Although many may disagree with me, in my short hunting career, this has been the case for me. I still hunt from a blind so maybe thats why they don't smell me. I had a very sucessful season last year and never used scent controll once. I'm not saying don't give it a try, I am just saying I have done fine without it myself. When I usually spook deer it's because I move to quickly and startle them.

One horse has a great write up on long range shooting here at the site. It has helped me out immensely. Of course never take a shot that you are not sure of or could possible injure a deer without taking it humanely.

The most important thing I always try to remember right before I shoot is B.R.A.S. (breathe relax aim squeeze). I have missed shots at 25yds because I rushed myself.

Getting an experienced hunter to show you the ropes is a great idea as well. I have been lucky enough to have had a buddy teach me everything I know(except for the fellas here at DHC). Just get out there and try different things until you get the hang of it. I have learned some of my greatest lessons about hunting on days when I didn't even take a shot.

I don't know if this is any help to you, as I am a newbie myself, but I have recieved a whole lot of good advice from some of the guys on the site in previous months. Many of the guys will tell you to look back over the previous threads to gain hunting knowlege and I couldn't agree more.

Best of luck to you in the future and I hope you have a safe sucessful hunting season.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Having a friend/mentor who is a good hunter would be your best bet. I learned how to deer hunt by reading bowhunting magazines. I was an info junky and read and studied the hobby as much as I could. Being a good woodsman is important so you dont get lost etc. Remember, safety is the most important skill and one you dont want to learn the hard way. All the other stuff I pretty much learned the hard way and missed some good opportunitys but I learned better for next time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts