Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so normaly i dont start thinking about the up coming season till a few weeks before it starts. but normaly i dont get a deer. Ronn has finaly got it through my thick skull that if i want to get my deer that i need to start thinking about it long before the season starts. now im thinking about getting my camera out there. is it to early to provide me with valuble info? have the bucks started getting there racks so i can tell them from the does? iv got 2 good spots. the one that was real good till coyotee over ran it last year, and one me and Ronn found the day he came down to help me scout. i know that i need more than 2 areas, but dont have time to proporly scout 10 or more. yes i can go to more than 10 onece, but to adiquitly scout them, and keep tabs on them. how many areas should i focus on? more questions to come.

G

·
i will concentrate on only a couple three during the season and use cameras to check others while i hunt the choosen ones. this time a year i'm looking at/for numbers, if there any bucks that i'd like to take, and changes in the woods that could help or hurt. as the years tick by, check out other areas slowly gathering info. also expanding on the areas that are known to me. I guess in a nut shell i'd rather know a couple areas inside out than 12 areas only 50 yards in.

yes you can see antler growth now. i got a couple pics of bucks with brows showing and forks started.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Did you smear something on that camera Ron to get him that close? :biggrin:

Hunt NH, now is a great time to know what's goin on out there in the woods. The bigger bucks will really shine now. They'll out grow the smaller ones for sure. Also down here, June is fawning time. If you watch the does, you'll see when the fawns first appear. You can back date 200 days subtract a week and know when they were bred last fall. That can give you great info on the rut. After a few years you'll start to see a pattern emerge. I for one never forget about deer season and am always doing something to prepare for it. My wife says I'm obsessed :biggrin:. There's a bunch you can do all year to up your odds in the fall.

G

·
Did you smear something on that camera Ron to get him that close? :biggrin:

Hunt NH, now is a great time to know what's goin on out there in the woods. The bigger bucks will really shine now. They'll out grow the smaller ones for sure. Also down here, June is fawning time. If you watch the does, you'll see when the fawns first appear. You can back date 200 days subtract a week and know when they were bred last fall. That can give you great info on the rut. After a few years you'll start to see a pattern emerge. I for one never forget about deer season and am always doing something to prepare for it. My wife says I'm obsessed :biggrin:. There's a bunch you can do all year to up your odds in the fall.
not a thing, sm, and hadn't touched them for 2 weeks. can't tell me deer don't see red or can't pick out the smallest of changes. 24/7/365 right?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.