Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sense many of the loyal members of this group haven't figured out the only State worth living in is Minnesota I have an idea.. With spring breaking out all over the country head to your local shooting site. Fire a group of 3 shots at 100 yards or 100 meters if you don't have access to a 100 yard range. Do it with the rifle you will be hunting deer with this year. Those that have to use shotguns and have access to a rifle can subsitute a rifle for this challenge. You are allowed to shoot from a bench with the rifle sitting on sandbags.

Now the hard part.. Draw a line between each bullet hole.. This will make a triange on the target. Pick a point in the middle of this triange and then measure to the farthest bullet hole center. This distance times two is your group size. A caliper will measure this the easiest but use a ruler if you don't have one.

I will play fair and not use the Win M70 Featherweight my son stole from me. Besides this way I already have an excuse.

I will start the thread for us to post our group size, make sure to share what type of rifle and its caliber with us.

Ok boys and girls let's burn some powder...

Karl

·
Registered
820 Posts
The rifle I'll be hunting with this year is the least accurate of my scoped rifles, so this may prove to be a challenge. I'll try to do this as soon as the weather will allow me.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My 30-06 carbine

I will be using a Sako 30-06 carbine with a 18.5 inch barrel mounting a Nikon African 1x4 scope. Another rifle not really set up for groups but sure is nice to carry in the woods.

Karl

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'll be using a Ruger 77/44 "All Weather" carbine with a Leupold UltimateSlam 2-7x33 scope. More of a brush gun than anything, but with the SABR reticle in that scope its good out to 200 yards.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Answered this on another post, somehow it managed to get 'hornswaggled' over.

Will be shooting Remington Model 742 in 6mm or Savage Model 111 in .270.
Maybe I'll post one of each.

But it will have to wait until this weekend before I can head out to the range.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also post your groups for 50 Yards/Meters

For those that don't normally shoot at 100 yards or 100 meters. Take the same challenge but use 50 yards or meters as your range. Same thing fire 3 rounds for score and calculate your group size. This is going to be alot easier for those of us using carbines/brush guns. Make sure when you share your group size you state at what range they were fired at.

Karl

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
I will try this will try to fit it in
Turkey season is starting most likely using my M77 .270 130 grain Federal's & will be at 100 Yrds
& just so you know NH is the greatest state we are the only state to have Die in our motto
Live free or Die

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It does sometimes feel like the frozen North

When I grew up in Indiana it always seemed that we never heard about Minnesota until winter time and then it was something like `-39 degrees today in Embarrass Minnesota`. I moved up here in 1984 and my friends from home all felt I did move above the Arctic Circle.

Karl

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
dont have time to do this. i live at work. but would like to point out 100 yards, and 100 meters is not the same thing.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
Sense many of the loyal members of this group haven't figured out the only State worth living in is Minnesota I have an idea..

Since you still have that lunatic Jesse Ventura in Minnesota, I'm glad i'm WAY over here in Vermont, some 1400/1500 miles away.... :lol:

all kidding aside I'd enjoy praticipating in your challenge but now is a terrible time for me, just too many things going on right now, so much that I can hardly find time to even get on the DHC... :sad:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Defending Minnesota

The good thing about `Jesse the body Ventura` is he makes everyone in the room feel they are not as dumb as they thought they were. He sets a very high bar in that reguard.

People in this State do like the phases

Ya Sure - means I agree
You Betya - means I really agree
Uffda - means are you kinding

Karl

·
Registered
820 Posts
Tried it tonight at 100yards but it was really windy so I'm not going to waste my time posting a picture. It was about a 3" group, and I know I can do way better than that. I did finally get my shotgun patterning correctly, so now I'm ready for this weekends turkey hunt.

·
Registered
221 Posts
dont have time to do this. i live at work. but would like to point out 100 yards, and 100 meters is not the same thing.

NH is right 100 yards is 300 ft., but a 100 meters is 328 ft.

That 28 ft shouldn't bother you unless you are competitive shooting.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
100 yard range compared to 100 meters

The only reason I said both was that some may only have access to a meter range. I agree that this is all about fun and 28 feet shouldn't matter to most of us. Make sure you give yourself credit if you are shooting at a meter range.

Karl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts