Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
alright well i hunted tues-thurs of this week and on thurs evening i had a doe i could shoot right at 20 yds so i took the shot, i had the crosshares right behind her shoulder and fired, she tucked her tail ran into the brush and kept running for what sounded like 30yds then i herd a crash and some thrashing all in about 15 seconds time, so i got out of my blind went back to camp and put my stuff away and went back to get my doe, and to my surprize i see no blood and no hair so i get the two other guys with me to help look and we looked for a good few hours well beyond where i herd her fall, still no sign and no deer. i dont know what to make of it, my scopes on i sighted it in earlier on tuesday, but either way lookin in the moring is pointless due to the massive load of coyotes we have on the property, anyone else have an experience like this? thoughts?

·
Registered
8,462 Posts
Body reaction says you hit her somewhere. If your shot was on a downward angle it's possible that the bullet didn't exit leaving no blood trail from the high entrance hit. If it wasn't a downward angle then I don't know. Most deer that are missed just throw up the flag and go. Possibly a weird miss and a tuck and run, not the norm reaction though???? The other thing is a deer will tuck their tail and go on a speed death run especially a heart hit. Doesn't explain the no blood thing. Just some random thoughts I guess.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Had one like that this year. The bullet went through one lung and one shoulder. That doe went a LONG ways and there was almost NO blood. The entry shot was high enough that it was just puddling up inside her. We only found her because we could hear her breathing heavily and walking. It took two hours of me following her at a distance before she finally bedded down and I was able to take a head shot. Had we not heard her, I would have had the same experience as you.

I had another one that was taken with a 12 gauge and buck shot. It ran about 50 yards and left no blood trail at all. When it fell down it left a huge pool of blood from its mouth.

I'd say that you hit it, but it just walked away and died later. Sometimes they just don't bleed out right away.

·
Registered
788 Posts
At 20 yards (with a 270) it's possible that the bullet passed clean through with very little expansion, especially if you were using a sophisticated "heavy game" type of bullet. The thrasing may have been the deer chasing the "bee sting" it felt. If the bullet didn't pass thru anything vital, the cripple may have gone on for a long long time before it succumbs to any wounds.

·
Registered
824 Posts
"so i got out of my blind went back to camp and put my stuff away and went back to get my doe"

I always chase the deer down to where it drops, ensure that it won't be getting back up, THEN head back to put my stuff away. Deer can get a second wind and walk off, coyotes can find it, or a hundred other things can happen.

Try using Remington Core-Lokt's in 150 grain next time. They have yet to fail me when hitting vital areas.

RR

·
Registered
852 Posts
Loads for the 270 Winchester

I don't load or shoot the 270 Winchester but isn't the 150gr loading more of a heavy for caliber load recommended for Elk? I always remember people saying that the ideal 270 load is 130/140 for Deer/Antelope with the 150gr used on Elk. It compairs with the 30-06 using 150/165gr for Deer/Antelope and 180gr for Elk. My experience verified those recommended weights are correct with the 30-06. New style bullet construction is changing some of the weight recommendations with the new lead free bullets being longer for a given weight. For the 30-06 a triple shock I would use the 150gr for Deer and the 165gr for Elk.

Karl

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"so i got out of my blind went back to camp and put my stuff away and went back to get my doe"

I always chase the deer down to where it drops, ensure that it won't be getting back up, THEN head back to put my stuff away. Deer can get a second wind and walk off, coyotes can find it, or a hundred other things can happen.

Try using Remington Core-Lokt's in 150 grain next time. They have yet to fail me when hitting vital areas.

RR
thats a good way to jump your deer up too and make it run further than it would of left alone, and it was dark by then so im not getting another shot, anyways camp was less than a min away, if a predator is going to find it that soon id rather not be trying to drag my deer out with a bear or coyote dogin me , i sighted my gun in with winchester so thats what i shoot with, Still not happy so im gona redo my whole sight set up get a new set of rings and re-sight in

·
Registered
852 Posts
What type of bases/rings do you have?

I have helped several rifle shooters by talking them away from aluminium bases and shoot thru rings. I don't think they belong on anything that has recoil. I am sure that they would be fine on a 22 but Deer rifles tend to shoot them loose. The rings that allow you to see thru them for the iron sights are very tall and their height makes the force of recoil on them magnified. Simple steel bases and rings (as low as possible) in my opinion are the way to go.

Karl

·
Registered
68 Posts
Waiting

Waiting would have done alot. I have put up several deer walking around. In the end it doesn't help anyone. I stay put for 30 min and listen. It has made t hiring more successful. Also the heavier bullet would have played a big role. It wouldn't have allowed the bullet to expand properly in a deer if u didn't hit bone!

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have helped several rifle shooters by talking them away from aluminium bases and shoot thru rings. I don't think they belong on anything that has recoil. I am sure that they would be fine on a 22 but Deer rifles tend to shoot them loose. The rings that allow you to see thru them for the iron sights are very tall and their height makes the force of recoil on them magnified. Simple steel bases and rings (as low as possible) in my opinion are the way to go.

Karl
That is very true.scope needs to be as close to the barrel as possible.Also a one peace base is the best. also put some clear finger nail polish on the screws when you install them.this will help alot from them comming loose. lokt tite works also but sometimes you cant get them back out

·
Registered
852 Posts
Lock-tite has color codes

I have green lock-tite that I use for rifles, if you use red lock-tite it will require heat to undo it. The green lock-tite helps hold things together but will allow you to take them apart. I always attach rifle bases to actions using the green lock-tite on the screw threads.

Karl

·
Registered
68 Posts
2 doe's

I had a guy at my hunting camp in Ontario Canada that shot a doe about two years ago. He shot her to far back and didn't think anything about it. He decided it would be best to leave her I'll morning ap we just agreed and didn't fight him over it. When he went back the next morning all that was left as some hair! Nothing else. The coyotes ate it. There was also a few hunters there who said they had just doged it and pushed 4 coyotes out. Maybe it just ran farther than you thought and the coyotes got to it before you did?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had a guy at my hunting camp in Ontario Canada that shot a doe about two years ago. He shot her to far back and didn't think anything about it. He decided it would be best to leave her I'll morning ap we just agreed and didn't fight him over it. When he went back the next morning all that was left as some hair! Nothing else. The coyotes ate it. There was also a few hunters there who said they had just doged it and pushed 4 coyotes out. Maybe it just ran farther than you thought and the coyotes got to it before you did?

possible they deffinatly were goin off that night while we looked, we need to get the coyotes back under control bad up there, BUT id still think we'd find some sign, even when coyotes get it all theres some hair and you can see where they fight with eachother over it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.