Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any information on where I can get some persimon trees, pawpaw, or any other mast producing trees that are deer magnets?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Try Gurneys. They are a mail order place that sells all kinds of fruit trees and flowers. We ordered 6 persimmon trees last year. 2 of them made it through to this year. We also bought one at a local nursery, it's growing much better than the mail order trees. But it was in better shape also. We got them out a little late last spring and missed all the good rain. I prefer to set trees in the late fall / winter here. That way they get all the spring weather. Easy to grow.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yea a few years. I'd also say it depends on how you take care of them. And that's not from a foresters point of view either. I planted a white oak in my front yard and had acorns after 8 years. Everyone told me it would take at least 20. But I babied it with miricle grow and pesticides. Nice tree. It grew from 1' tall to 22-23' in 12 years, trunk is about 12" in diameter. But I'd say it's the exception rather than the rule.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Something that has been very successful for me with all trees, is to plant at the right time of year first. But the biggest thing I do is when I plant a new tree I cut a piece of 2" - 3" dia. PVC 1 - 2 feet long and place it in the ground straight in to the root system. Then during the growing season every 2 - 3 weeks I go and put about a gallon of Miracle Grow in the pvc this gets the nutrients straight to the root system and gives the new trees a good boost for the first year or so. After a year or two I pull the PVC out and use it on another tree. This process has worked well on Leyland cypress trees and all the fruit trees I have planted. It's a little extra work but it has payed off in the long run.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts