Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This year I took the plunge and bought a lights out bow set @ 56lbs of pull. Thanks to Roy and alot of time spent in the forums of this and other sites I have gained the knowledge of an infant at birth :) and can tell you I have learned more about bow hunting by being in the woods and making the mistakes we beginners bow hunters (if you can call us that!) always make. Roy has been a great teacher and instructor and I bagged a small doe on my third day of hunting.

At 56 years of age I am hooked on that broadhead and am challanged by having to draw that deer into the 20 yard range rather than shooting them @ 100 yards. What a rush. 20 days ago I put my hands on a bow for the first time in my life and just wanted to say thanks to all of you who take the time to bring newbies into this sport. You all make a difference and the knowledge and discussions will all be forwarded to my 10 year old grandson and maybe just maybe I can instill in him the desire to become a young hunter.

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Your hooked now. congrats on the deer! Your right there is nothing like the challenge of bow hunting.

·
Registered
790 Posts
:pickle:It brings a tear to my eye. Another newbie hunter off to school for the first year. Gosh it brings back memories. Honestly though I love hearing stories like yours. KooDoos to your friend for his leadership.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Hooked on Hunting! shouldn't that be a song or something, maybe a CD learning guide? Bowhunting it gets into you and thats that, nothing you can do to prevent it from happening. Now if I could direct you to the wonderful world of flintlock muzzleloading hunting, two passions are better than one! No bias intended here folks. Glad you have found and will be passing on the big secret we've been protecting(well not really a secret) several million know, but definately protecting/enjoying. Hunting is and hopefully always remain a God Given Right and Prividlege of every American! Sara for President! Sorry two cups of coffee by 5 am.:coffee:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Congratulations Mike, It's great when a plan comes together.
It sure would be awesome to see a pic of your 1st Bow harvest.. :biggrin:

My hats off to Roy also, for all his efforts in teaching and instructing you
on a safe & successful hunt... :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Congrats on the bow hunt.. And thanks for joining in the discussion.. Its cool to hear about the "newbies" success.. (we're all newbies to an extent)

Im sure you got a pic of that doe. Feel free to share. If you dont know how Im sure one of us on here can lead you threw the pic upload process. We arent all about just the big boys. Its all good if you want to show off a doe on our forums. We will enjoy. Congrats again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will love a bit of help in the upload process and I shall see what I can do about a picture..and thanks everyone!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I wanted to tell you what happened last night. Had been in the stand about 2 hours last night when another Doe appeared and a very nice 6 pointer was behind her. I stood up very slow and using the tree as cover stood and watched as the Doe entered my shooting lane and stopped. The buck on the other hand stood behind 3 trees at 35 yards and stopped. I have told myself that my shot range this year was 20-25 yards and nothing longer.

I stood there for what seemed like 2 hours but it was a good 20 minutes. My heart was pounding in my chest and I was sure the buck could hear it. He started to move and I came to full draw and he stopped and just stood there. Just 4 more steps or so and I could have a shot. My commitment to 20 yards screaming through my head to take the shot anyway. I did not. If that animal is to give his life to me than I owed it to him to make it a true shot and for this year my limit is in the 20-25 yard range. At 30 I tend to scatter a bit. Full draw, holding, heart pounding, trying to hold steady and thats when it happened. He turned around and walked back into the woods with the doe right behind him and it was over but all I can say was the rush that I felt is like nothing I have ever felt before. Lowered my bow and just reflected on what had just happened and went through the process of trying to see if their was something I could have done different.

I am sure you all can identify and there is always tomorrow. :)

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
your hooked i can tell it.nothing better than that feeling of your heart pounding like that:wink:go get em

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I wanted to tell you what happened last night. Had been in the stand about 2 hours last night when another Doe appeared and a very nice 6 pointer was behind her. I stood up very slow and using the tree as cover stood and watched as the Doe entered my shooting lane and stopped. The buck on the other hand stood behind 3 trees at 35 yards and stopped. I have told myself that my shot range this year was 20-25 yards and nothing longer.

I stood there for what seemed like 2 hours but it was a good 20 minutes. My heart was pounding in my chest and I was sure the buck could hear it. He started to move and I came to full draw and he stopped and just stood there. Just 4 more steps or so and I could have a shot. My commitment to 20 yards screaming through my head to take the shot anyway. I did not. If that animal is to give his life to me than I owed it to him to make it a true shot and for this year my limit is in the 20-25 yard range. At 30 I tend to scatter a bit. Full draw, holding, heart pounding, trying to hold steady and thats when it happened. He turned around and walked back into the woods with the doe right behind him and it was over but all I can say was the rush that I felt is like nothing I have ever felt before. Lowered my bow and just reflected on what had just happened and went through the process of trying to see if their was something I could have done different.

I am sure you all can identify and there is always tomorrow. :)
If you weren't comfortable with the shot you did the right thing. I have been there before and it is exciting to have them in that close even when you don't shoot. Sometimes I think you learn more from the shots you don't take.

Congrats! Sounds like it will be a good year for you.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Well said Buckshot. Thats good you stuck to your range limit. There is nothing wrong with a 20-25 yds. limit till you get comfortable. Their are alot of hunters who should do that and dont.

I think all bow hunters have been in those shoes before and the feeling you get is darn awesome. Its amazing how long we can hold a bow back with all that adrenaline pumping through your system. Your hooked!!:biggrin:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts