Deer Hunting Forums banner

First Double of the Year

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  buckfever 
#1 ·
I don't know what your feelings are regardiong cross bows. Can honestly say, I also don't care. After over 30 years of shooting vertical bows and making a living in the archery industry for over 20 years, I was hit with an illness that almost killed me and an injury that destroyed my right shoulder permanently. Ergo, I shoot a crossbow.

As you might guess, it is extremely hard to get one cocked while sitting in a ladder stand. It can be done. I shot these two about 30 seconds apart one afternoon back in Sept. As you can see, I pay close attention to camouflage and wearing rubber boots. These two made numbers 21&22 I had killed from that stand. The total is now 24. I think it is in a pretty good place.

See less See more
#2 ·
I like my Horton crossbow, but I'd say your either REALY lucky or those are deer used to loud noises, and you would had to have some good cover caz that's a lot of movement recocking, I know my crossbow is loud ! I've never been able to shoot without everything else running off, so for you to be able to pull off two that's tough an awesome ! Congrats

#5 ·
Congrats on your double!!! And there's absolutely nothing wrong with using a crossbow as long as they're legal to use in the areas you're using them in.

#6 ·
I too went to a crossbow this year after too much pain in the neck/shoulder. I would prefer to use the compound but see no issue with the crossbow as it keeps us in the woods! :wink: Congrats on the double but the black tights have to go! ha ha! Just Kidding of course.

#7 ·
I would give something shiney to able to shoot a compound again but at least I am still hunting. After battling a pretty persistent illness for four years, I am glad just to be able to go to the woods.

In fact, I think I'll go this afternoon. First a tip. I have two Xbows, a Horton and a TenPoint. The TenPoint has the acudraw. The click of the the ratchet sounds to a deer, I guess like the glotal pulse in a doe bleat. It actually seems to draw deer to you. I have been able to shoot a second and even third time on a half-dozen occasions.

#8 ·
I purchased the Excalibur Vortex. It has a 200 lb draw and with the rope assist is pretty easy even with the neck/shoulder pain. In fact Monday I go in for a third injection followed on the 20th for a 4th. These are not for the faint hearted, they hurt! However, the last series lasted about 4 months of eased up pain. At $2800.00/shot they better do something. I can still draw the compound and shoot pretty well it's the practice that gets me. I can only shoot about 6 arrows at a time, two/three times a week. The titainium in my neck tells me every time there's a weather change coming! :yawn:

#9 ·
I was looking at the pse tac, that is one sweet crossbow!! Built in cocking system, there is a YouTube video of it hammering bolts at 100 yards dead on. But the down fall is this is only for people with more money than me with a price tag of bare starting at 1,700.oo:shocking: and used around 1,200.oo, I don't think my wife would be too happy if I sold her truck so I could buy this :no:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.