Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
I'm afraid my "first" was a lot like CD's . . . not exactly much to be proud of.

Mama had heard the rifle shot and asked if I'd gotten anything when I walked into the house.

I told her that I'd just shot Bambi.

Just glad that I've learned a thing or two since then. (like how to judge how big they are, even if it takes putting a T-post downrange with different colored strings starting 36" off the ground).

RR

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Mine was a 223 0/8 NON-typical 23 point 6 1/2 year old that weighed in at 240 pounds. His spread across his rack was 24 2/3 inches and his hieight was 25 1/4 inches. His G2's alone were 19 inches long.

I also have some ocean front property in arizona.....

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Any deer is a trophy especially a first deer :pickle:
I agree still try & not shoot the little ones but sometimes the excitement gets to me

·
Registered
562 Posts
Mine was a 223 0/8 NON-typical 23 point 6 1/2 year old that weighed in at 240 pounds. His spread across his rack was 24 2/3 inches and his hieight was 25 1/4 inches. His G2's alone were 19 inches long.

I also have some ocean front property in arizona.....

you had me getting all excited there for a minute just thinking about a deer that would fit that description. I think i finally caught on at 19" G2s. :lol:

Mine was a doe. a yearling doe probably...i can still remember the rush though. Awesome experience that is getting your first one.

·
Registered
773 Posts
My first was a yearling but it was with a bow I didn't gun hunt at all till I was in my 20's, so back then I was proud as could be and still am as it was a first. Now I don't shoot yearlings nor a big doe that still has yearlings with them. ( gun or bow) that's just my personal hunting ethical choice.

Two weeks ago was the youth gun here in ky and a good friend of mine took his 7 year old grandson hunting and he told me they had a yearling come in on them. He said he wouldn't let him soot caz he wanted him to kill a big buck, and then went on about how figedy the grandson was getting. I told his why didn't you let him harvest his first deer, that boy didn't care big buck, doe, yearling, he see's deer and knows his first! Meat on the table, fills his rage not yours, and then you could focus on your big buck. He said you know your right I should have let him harvest that deer !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.