Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on getting rid of fire ants again. Trying something different this year and using a bag of those Terminator Fire Ant Plus II granules. Less time consuming than what I did in previous years. I usually would boil water and then pour over the hill. The hot water would kill a bunch of them and all the surviving ants would pile them up outside of hill.

Do you folks north of me have fire ants?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
None in Vermont

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm not sure how tough fire ants are but, when I start getting ants, lady bugs, ect around my house I spray grease lightning around the building and that drives them away. Not sure if it'll work with fire ants but it won't hurt to try. Good luck with the creepy crawlies.

·
Registered
602 Posts
we got them down here. if i find an ant hill in the backyard, i use rubbing alcohol. pour it on the mound, let soak in for about a minute and light er' up.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
No fire ants in Ohio yet. I did get to see them in Florida. My uncle uses those crystals with some effect. Friends of ours must have had over 100 mounds in their yard and thousands in the golf resort they moved into. They have since moved. I don't know how they could have lived there with having two dogs and that many ants? He wanted to show me how many are in each mound so we took a stick and just messed the mound up some and they poured out by the hundreds maybe a thousand and times that by a hundred mounds in their yard... you can have that part of Florida, Orange county to be exact. Good luck with the ants!

·
Registered
388 Posts
Thats one good thing about New York. I was constantly paranoid about the fire ants when I was in college in Pensacola, FL. While working on the grounds crew mowing an empty lot where the grass was 2 feet high I steped in a mound. World record time in getting out of the long grass to where I could brush them off. I heard of someone who got them in in pants and completely undressed while working out front on the main road.

Now the number two good thing about New York... guess I better keep thinking.

·
Registered
181 Posts
No , but they they make a fire ant dehydrator powder that youaplly around the hill and they carry it in and die. Why would you ask that I now this seeing how we don't have them ? My old boss ordered two case's of the wrong stuff and we still have it . I wish I could give it to you but its a municpality and they have rules. They would rather throw it away than to give it away.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
blech works great on fire ants.:whistling: when living in TX i once sat on a 6x6 wood piller out side of the public pool, and there was a fire ant hill hidden by a bush. well they climed up the piller and in usual fire ant style the first bite dident come untill there were hundereds on me, and when they started biteing man they lit me up good. i think i probably broke some kind of sprinting world recored running to the pool, and i jumped in fully clothed, shoes and all.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
We didnt get it here like they did a little north east of me. Thank goodness. We did have quite a bit of down time at work for storms and such though.

Thats just funny. :biggrin: I would have done the same thing.
ya its funny now. people up hear in the north just dont get how bad fire ants are. they are smart lil buggers, the first bite dont come untill there are hundreds on you, and there is a reason they are called "fire" ants.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Go to the hardware store and buy Ortho fire ant killer. Sprikle a tablespoon of the white powder over the mound. By the next day the whole mound is dead. The problem with burning our surface spays is they don't reach the queen that can be for or five feet deep.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ortho fire ant killer.
Thank you sir. That terminator stuff I got didnt kill all of them. They brought their dead up to the surface and made a pile of them but there was still quite a few living. I would say the terminator was about as effective as the boiling water technique. It killed alot but not all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts