Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I really thought I'd get a big responce on the other deer/rifle question but lets try this one. Currently, what is your favorite deer rifle/caliber. The last two years I have went back to my Savage 99 in 300 sav with a 3X9 redfield scope. Little kick, pretty accurate, and takes me back in time so its a feel good issue with me.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
My favorite is my Ruger .270 carbine topped with a 3-9x32 Bushnell,
I use remington 130gr. PSP factory loads. I'm extremely accurate with this setup
so the thought of changing into a different rifle just doesnt make sense to me,
I have my .30-06 that I could use and that's also very accurate but
when the moment comes to head into the woods I can't help but grab my .270 :coffee:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
When its time for me to step into the woods I go with my 30-06. I hunt woods 99% of the time so I opt for the extra knock down power over my 30-30. I shoot factory loads also. 150 gr remington core-lokt. Bushnell 3x9x40. Whats funny is this is my least expensive set-up yet it is my most accurate and confident rifle.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Last Year I Used My Tc Encore Chambered In 300win Mag But Sence Then I Have Upgraded To The 300wsm Auto Loader Topped With A Nikon Monark 3.5-10x50.thats My Field Gun.and For Close Range Woods Hunting I Will Be Using My Tc Ecore Chambered In The 25-06 Topped With A Bushnell Elite Series 3-9x40.both Are New And I Haven't Shot Them Yet.working On A Good Reload For These.i Guess I Better Get My Rear End In Gear.its Comming Fast.but With The Planning Of My Wedding Next Weekend June 21st I Had To Put Things Aside Until It All Over.i'll Be Ready!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The gun I grab these days is my Marlin 336 .35 Rem with a 200gr Hornady Leverevolution bullet. This cal is outside my previously stated sweet spot in cal choice but I can't help myself. The gun and cal was designed as a brushbuster and that exactly describes the terrain I hunt. I hunt from treestands and can only see up to 100 yards in most cases, often less. All my stands border bedding areas so I hang around in the thick stuff.

·
Registered
798 Posts
For my style of hunting and terrain, I like a rifle that can be useful for possible long range shooting, but I also appriciate something that's light weight. The rifle/caliber that I have used for the last 16 years has been a Rem. 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Rem. with 140 grain bullets. My new rifles, which I'm still "working on" are a Rem. Model Seven in 300 WSM and a Tikka in .270 WSM. I've had a Savage 99 in .308 Win. and it was a great deer gun - wish I still had it. Also had one of the Ruger Ultra Lights in .270, like Bruce and I thought that was super for the kind of hunting he does, although that one would be good anywhere.

G

·
That's one round I'm interested in, the .280. i don't know why there is just something about it. my fav rifle is my 03A3 that's been bored to .338 win mag. I've put a Timney trigger in it and a syn Bell and Carlson stock. just a great shooting, light, hard hitting rifle. I'm shooting a 225 gr Fed Vitol-shok. I could shoot the thing all day long, except for the cost of ammo. I've got other fav rifles but that's my fav deer/moose/bear/anything in North America rifle.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
onehorse, I also have a Rem Mountain rifle but in 270 win. My son has pretty much taken it as his favorite. He sold his Browning A-bolt in 260 rem which I bought for him and didn't see any return money. I have been thinking of getting a 350 rem mag why I'm not sure just something a bit different, and like ronn said this one also would take anything in North America. Another gun that has my interest is the Rem classic in 300sav. Someday I will proably look at the newer bullets/rifle combo's but that will wait.

G

·
in reference to your wanting a .350 rem mag, one thing I like to tell guys when they ask why the .338 win mag. I say " There are no degrees of dead, no such thing as to dead". so if you shoot the rifle well use it.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Ron, on that .280 Rem. It's done everything for me - quick shots, long range shots, killed everything from small deer to knocking bull elk off their feet. It has been way overlooked, but seems to have it all. Moderate recoil, extremely accurate, etc. I bought the two new rifles during the last couple of years out of "magnum" curiosity. Thought I would be selling the .280, but I'm not so sure on that any more. The new guns are great - you've heard me prasing the Tikka a lot - but, something about that old gun. Maybe just too many great hunts with it. Putting it another way, I still like looking at the young ladies, but they just don't compare to my wife. (If you tell her I compared her to rifles or that I'm looking at young ladies, the Montana hunting invitation is off!)

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I only own 1 rifle and 1 shotgun (turkey). My rifle is a Remington 710 30-06 with a Busnell 3x9x40 and I use Remington core-lokt 150 gr. I love it. Very confident with it at almost any range but the scope isn't too high powered for long, long ranges.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I only own 1 rifle and 1 shotgun (turkey). My rifle is a Remington 710 30-06 with a Busnell 3x9x40 and I use Remington core-lokt 150 gr. I love it. Very confident with it at almost any range but the scope isn't too high powered for long, long ranges.

Hey, me too. But my rifle is a model 700 .270. It shoots pretty good, but I haven't deer hunted with it in a while...I kinda want to get one of those new lever evolution guns. I think it would work better for my application. Anyone have experience with these?

·
Registered
28 Posts
mauser 98 converted to a sporter. custom monte carlo style stock, chambered for .243 winchester, x4 fixed power scope, 100 grain federal soft point bullets, limbsaver recoil pad, and a 2.5 lbs trigger.

over 100 years old and still works great!

G

·
well parts of it are over a 100 years old. sounds like a lot of newer things on it. i had the same set up, 98 small ring mauser, only in '06. it was built by golden state arms in the early '70's. fine rifle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
well parts of it are over a 100 years old. sounds like a lot of newer things on it. i had the same set up, 98 small ring mauser, only in '06. it was built by golden state arms in the early '70's. fine rifle.
the action is over a hundred years old. the bolt is about all there is on a bolt action. mine is a larg ring i believe. yes there are alot of new things but the fact that the action is over a hundred years old and still works great, is what really impresses me! in my opinion the mauser style controlled feed action is the most reliable ever made. it was the grand father of all modern bolt actions today. the only reason why todays bolts are push fed is because it is cheaper to manufacture.

i like my old rifle because it makes me feel like i am keeping the tradition alive. too many synthetic stocks these days. yuck:thumbdown:, in my opinion, but to each, his own!:yes:

G

·
the bigger calibers 375 hh and bigger tend to be control feed for some reason.
wood is pretty but will go sour and will shrink and expand causing the receiver bolts to be lose and making for interesting days trying to sight in before the season.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the bigger calibers 375 hh and bigger tend to be control feed for some reason.
wood is pretty but will go sour and will shrink and expand causing the receiver bolts to be lose and making for interesting days trying to sight in before the season.
big rifles for dangerous game should always be controlled feed. and if wood is properly taken care of will outlast a plastic stock. plastic can get brittle and crack especially in very could weather. i have never had a problem with wood stocks, in fact i have had problems with plastic. plus cheap flimsy plastic stocks degrade accuracy, when combined with a free floating barrel( pinches the barrel and changes point of impact because it effects the barrels vibrations making point of impact change!) a sturdy synthetic stock with the barrel bedded in seems to help reduce some of this problem, but still doesnt seem to be as good as hardwood. gunmakers these days push this crap because it is cheaper to manufacture. avoid free floating barrels if you can, its a scam!

G

·
What country in the

What country in the world has exerniepced the most dictators and how many have they had?Also what country in Africa has exerniepced the most?What country in Asia?What Country in the Americas?What country in Europe?What country in Oceania?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts