Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Seems like the re-introduction of elk to several states has been a sucess. I wonder how the eco system will change especially for the whitetails. I know in Michigan around the Atlanta area the elk have the brouse ate up beyond the deer's ability to reach it. However, seeing elk in the midwest is pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
PA is also doing the same thing:thumbup:

·
Registered
798 Posts
As you guys know, here in Montana we have elk, moose, whitetails and muleys. They all seem to find their own niche and do really well as ALL the requirements for ALL the animals are not identical. I wouldn't worry too much about the whitetails as they are very adaptive and tenacious, but you may have to sacrifice numbers for variety to some extent. Also, elk were out that way at one time anyway, so I suspect they'll all be fine. And when you guys start shooting those big elk, you'll feel that it was well worth it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I agree with onehorse. SD is trying to expand it's elk population and seems to be doing well, at least in the Western part of the state. I moved from MT to MN 4 years ago and haven't been elk hunting since. I hope that each Mid-Western state does more to re-introduce elk.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Elk hunting

They have stocked elk in three of the southern states as well an two of them are now offering a select few tags the two states doing so are Kentucky and Tennesee, they also stocked elk in the smokies of north carolina which seen three last summer on my vacation they was standing on the side of the road two nice small bulls an a cow.

·
Registered
852 Posts
MN Elk herd, CWD scare...

I remember reading that the MN DNR just did a large wild Elk kill in MN due to worries about cronic waisting disease. It must have set back their Elk re-population program here.

Karl

1 - 9 of 9 Posts