Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
I'm shooting my bow @ 60lb. and my arrows are 26 in. long. I was wondering what you other bow hunter's draw weight and arrow length were. And your opinion on arrow length for best penetration at 60 lb. draw.

Thanks,
N.R.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bow draw weight 70 lbs
draw length 28"
arrow weight 385 gr
IBO 332 fps

estimated arrow speed 297 fps with 75 lbs kinetic energy.

At 60lbs draw weight I am still producing 65 lbs kinetic energy at 276 fps and could use this setup for grizzly bear and cape buffalo.

As far as your question on arrow length for best penetration, arrow length is one of the values that are the most difficult to alter. your draw length is your draw length and you should use the appropriate arrow for that draw length. there is one way to buy an extra inch or so of draw length and it may apply to you and it may not. if you are using a release that the caliper assembly extends far forward of your closed hand when drawing your bow, you could acquire a shorter release (one that extends just past the closed fingers and utilize the shortest d-loop safely possible. Penetration could also be improved with smaller diameter broadhead and heavier arrow shafts.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.