Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hunt some. Notmuch of a challenege around here. I have over 200 birds in the flocks just here nehind the house. I spend more time chasing smallmouth.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I've heard turkeys calling where I live, but have never seen them on the property. Last time I hunted turkey I think I was still in elementary school - and that was a day or two ago.

Great picture! ! !

RR

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've heard turkeys calling where I live, but have never seen them on the property. Last time I hunted turkey I think I was still in elementary school - and that was a day or two ago.

Great picture! ! !

RR
I use to turkey hunt just north of Austin. I think it was North. The place was owned by Tommy Steiner. He was a big rodeo producer and kept his livestock on the ranch. I worked for him some and he let me hunt.

That was back about 1960-61.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a small creek right behind the house. This morning there were four gobblers on the creekbank. All looked tobe 3-4 year old birds. Right across the creek from them were four deer-all does and fawns. By the time I got the camera, the dog had scared them all off.

But this afternoon, there is one less doe. I hunted the ridge behind the house and she fell right in the road. I could back the truck right to her. I may have to go again tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Too many. We trapped and moved 80 last year and you couldn't even tell it. I have counted as many 230 at one time in my yard. The gobblers aren't quite so tame in the spring but it isn't much of a chore to kill four-the limit-if you are a tueky hunter. I don't mess with them much but will shoot one during arch season if they walk by. This is a typical view out the front door in the afternoon. This is part of a small flock of 18 birds. I shoot a ton of photos of deer and turkeys both using a 300 lens and just shooting out the window or the garage door.

Let me be clear-I do not hunt or shoot the animals at my house, nor do I feed or bait them. I hunt the property they come from and can't begin to kill enough to reduce the herd or flock. I can easily kill 12-15 deer a year if I hunt and you would never know it. I have killed 8 so far this year and got a call a few minutes ago from a lady who would sure like one. I'll try and get her one tomorrow. I thought I was about done here.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
First, you have to have your office in your yard. Second, your yard has to be in the right place. Most days, I have either deer, turkey or both in the yard. I have seen bobcat, fox, yotes, teenage neighbor girl in bikini and a variety of wildlife in the yard. Best part of the location is, I can walk out the back door, cross the road and be on a 113 acre farm I have permission to hunt. Then, three miles down the road, I have another 100-acre farm I can hunt. No big deer but i the last 13-years, I have killed over 100 deer off the two farms. Nothing big, 125" probably the biggest but lots of deer and tree rats. Now if I could just get more neighbor girls...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.