Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just hunted the mountain and found this scrape about 75 yds away from my stand. Also found another one about 25 yds away thats quite a bit smaller.

Do you folks have luck hunting active scrapes? Ive always read that most scrapes are hit at night and wanted to hear some real hunters thoughts on the matter!

This was my first hunt with more than a dusting on the ground. Made it real easy to spot the scrapes. They had hit this one recent. You can see all the dirt, leaves etc where they threw it back over the snow.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I arrowed my buck in pre rut this year checking his scrape line first thing in the a.m. He was actually stretched out licking the scent branch above the scrape when I stuck him. It was about 10 mins into the legal shooting light for the day.

·
Registered
773 Posts
bucks here in the area i was hunting were running their scrape line at night most my trail cam pics put them from 12 am to 4 am :sad:

·
Registered
394 Posts
Shot my deer this year on a scrape line, actually watched him freshen it up and lick the branch above. Other than that I never seem to see them on a scrape line.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
That's what I look for in the main rut! Bucks are advertising like that when they're not finding does to breed. I love to hunt scrape lines as you know that's a least one bucks travel route. Several bucks can and do use another's scrapes. I would post up and see what happens. A trail cam in this case would help you out to see when he's coming around.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I agree with everyone else but would add that hunting scrapes in the afternoon slightly increases your odds when hunting scrapes vs. morning hunts and maybe it's because in the afternoon you're pre settled in and comfortable when the Buck arrives,,
Also, a nocturnal buck only offers a small window of opportunity in the morning but is more eager in the afternoon to get out of their beds and move about more freely often creating a greater window of opportunity for harvesting. You always want to be on alert but I would be more focused during the afternoon hunt.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got one this morning hunting about 20 yards away from this particular scrape.. Their are several in a line. Had a small 8 make an around about trip around the scrape around 6:45am (maybe a half circle 25 yds away)

2 does moved 50 yards straight across on another trail higher above me around 7.

Shot a buck at 8:45am that was walking straight to me. He turned broadside at 10 yards and looked at me! Ill post some pics in rifle hunting.

Thanks for yalls thoughts. Was just wondering what yall thought.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I took my trail camera with me but after dragging the deer off and forgetting about the camera until after I had already made my trip back up for the clothes etc. I didnt feel like making another trip back up.

Hopefully I will get to hunt next Mon. I will hang it then and see what pops up.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Obviously you have an area that they like to travel through.These spots usually will be good year after year and they will continue to use the same trails and make scrapes in the same area.Now Buck i dont no how many times your gonna shoot a great buck at ten yards but its all about being in the right area at the right time.GoodJob:thumbup:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
for muzzleloading its always a problem keeping powder dry. However, archery and rifle hunting in a misty rain can be perfect hunting.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Deer will still move when it's raining. Many people believe they are like humans and lay low during a shower. They will get up and about during rain!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.