Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to hunting and I want to get as much time in the woods as possible. However it's been raining alot but I still want to go out . Is this gonna be a waste of time or are they gonna be out and about?

·
Registered
19 Posts
In my experience the answer is really that it depends. Depends on the rain, whether lite or heavy, and depends on the terrain. If it's light rain and your hunting big woods they will move. Make a note of how the weather was the night before. Was it a heavy rain all night, or clear w/ 1/4 or better moon, is it peak rut? I find deer activity is really affected by all three. I know I gave you a lot more questions than answers, but hope it helps. I've shot very few deer on sunny days, but that's just me.

Good luck.

G

·
i look at it this way. they live outdoors all the time. so rain isn't their biggest problem. light to moderate rain doesn't seem to be a real factor. now heavy frog drowning type rain is. the length of time its been raining also plays into as well as temps and time of year (outside temps). If you can stand to be in the rain, be there, especially if the rut is on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I personally think that many of you older deer move in the light to moderate rain. This goes back to another thread where I stated deer are pretty smart. I think that many deer often move in less than favorable conditions because they have been conditioned to not feel as much hunter pressure in them. Ex: Most hunters leave in high wind/ hard rain days, so most deer don't feel too pressured. If the temperature is low and it has been raining for a long time, the deer will definitely move around and feed. If the rain is extremely heavy, your chances can be slim, but hey you'll have a better chance at getting a deer if your in the stand than on the couch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have personally never seen any deer in the rain where I hunt, heavy or light, but I have only been hunting for one season.
Best of luck to ya.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yes deer feed in the rain unaffected. The only time that it could effect them is if the HEAVY rain has heavy wind. To us that live under shelter all of the time rain makes us miserable but deer could care less. Hot temps have much more effect. In the early season rain is the best time to hunt hands down. This is because of the cooling affect of the water and rain tends to knock more mast crop down (acorns). Down side to rain is you have to really pay attention because you can't hear them coming.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
all good advice ,a word of caution though,rain will wash away your blood trail quickly so be sure of your shots

1 - 9 of 9 Posts