Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a cva from local hunting store had him install a scope , our local gunsmith sighted it a 150 , what distance with a good bullet should it shoot

·
Registered
72 Posts
Personally, I sight mine in at 75 yards and I shoot out to 100 yards. I too think 150 yards is a little far, mostly because the muzzle velocity is slow and the bullet drops quite a bit. I would say 100 yards or 75 yards is a good range. All the deer I have ever shot have been 60 yards or closer.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I agree with wmi, Ideally, muzzleloaders should be sighted in at 100 yards.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I do not believe a muzzleoader is only capable at 100 yards or less.On the last day of muzzleloading season,I shot a doe at 138 yards(meassured with a laser rangefinder)it dropped in its tracks.100 grains of Shockeys gold powder and a 270 grain powerbelt platinum.Now I agree that it should be sighted in at 100 yards,but I do not believe muzzleloaders are a 100 yard or less gun.Maybe I am just reading the responses wrong,but I don't have a problem shooting over 150 yards with a muzzleloader.My oldest son killed his first deer with my muzzleloader at a measured 178 yards,it went about 10 yards.I am not advocating shooting at a distance you are not comfortable with.I live in the country with no neighbors and get to practice all I want.Maybe thats why I am comfortable with the longer shots.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i got my gun back last night , the gunsmith said it is right on but i will find out this weekend , i already paid himm so i will give it a try , i hope it works out , let you all know the results.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
I do not believe a muzzleoader is only capable at 100 yards or less.
I do not believe muzzleloaders are a 100 yard or less gun.Maybe I am just reading the responses wrong,but I don't have a problem shooting over 150 yards with a muzzleloader..
I dont think anyone said a muzzleloader is only capable of 100 yard shots or less.
what was said was that, muzzleloaders are typically sighted in at 100 yards.
I wouldn't hesitate to take a shot out to 150 yards with my Muzzleloader.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Muzzle loader Sighting

It all depends on the terrain you hunt and your comfort level. For example i hunt in an area that has dense pines and scattered oaks amongst them. Im not getting a shot off any longer than 60 yards. I sight my rifle in at 75 yds. If your wide open sight it in at 100. you want to compensate for farther distances than 100 but this depends on your charge and bullet size. just make sure you hit it hard and drop it for a clean kill. Compensation for longer distances can only be done at the range. I use two triple seven magnum pellets with a 275 grain powerbelt platinum and my compensation is half an inch per 50 yards. The muzzle velocity is around 1200 fps. Dead on Brother. I shoot a Thompson center Triumph ( gotta support the local NH Gunmaker even though SW owns them now.) Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
5,710 Posts
According to my Calcumations, Cuz I'ma little Edumucated,, LOL the deer are in the woods and
if you can hit a target BullsEye accurately at 50/60/70 even 100 yards then Go Hunting! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Since I jumped to conclusion on my first post,I think I know how the gunsmith sighted in at 150.In my ballistic charts that came with my bullets,it does say to sight in at 2.4 inches high at 50 and you will be dead on at 150.I think thats how he can say it is on at 150.Just a guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
this is all new to me , never been hunting with a muzzel before , i joined these forums to learn , soaking up as much as possible , now just need to go practice , with it getting dark so early now , may have to join a range , practice makes perfect , buisness is slow so money is tight but would hate to miss or not get a good kill , so thats why i paid gunsmith 25 plus ammo to at least get a jump on it . never to old to find a new hobby , going to be 44 this year , same day as opening shotgun season , that is why want both sighted in , thinking muzzel for longer shots ( open field vs woods ) again this is all new to me .

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Sighting in at 100 yds covers most muzzleloading deer hunting. I sighted the new Triumph to shoot dead on at 100 yds. I would have no problem shooting out to 150 with the scope and loads. The gun will do 200 yds if I put in the range time. I'm shooting 110 grs of BlackHorn and 250 gr t/c shock waves.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I sight mine in at 75 yards due to the area I hunt in, but I have shot and hit targets at 150 yards. Its just I am limited to short shots in the area I hunt in, but next year I am moving to a new spot, so it will be sighted at 100 yards.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts