Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just met a lady in my office (in Oklahoma) that told me she owned land in union county Illinois. Of course I asked her about hunting and she ended up offering me the opportunity to hunt there whenever I want. Did that just happen....somebody pinch me!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
she says it is far southern IL. i will try to find it on a map later.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Just north of Cairo alongside the mississippi river. About an hour from here

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I won't pinch you only because you sound too thrilled about it......sounds great to be able to go up there and hunt anytime.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So Southern Man...tell me about this place please. what is the terrain like? Is this the deer paradise I am thinking it is?

·
Registered
591 Posts
It's been years since I've been over that way. Since they put in I-24, there's no need to go through Cairo anymore. It should be river bottom for the most part. To the east is Shawnee National Forest and that gets to be pretty rough country. There is a leg of Shawnee that cuts right thru Union County not far from the river, big woods. Might be swampy, I dunno. Do you know what part of Union County her land is in? It ought to be a great place to hunt. It's south of big buck country of west central Illinois but those Mississippi river bottoms grow some big deer. Anywhere in Illinios is good. To give you an example, it's not uncommon to kill 120-140 lb does along the river where as farther into the state here you can cut 20-30 lbs off that. Deer are just bigger along the river. I'd go for it in a minute. We did a job for a Veteran's Cemetary last year over that way and I've been meaning to drive over and look at it now that it's complete. If I can get there, I'll take some pics for you.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome! thanks.

I'm not sure exactly where it is...she said close to highway 57 or 51...can't remember

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hey flexi,
Boy if that were me I would already have my topos of the area ordered and be scheduled to go on a road trip. It must have been your turn, every once in a while God smiles and delivers.
Good hunting

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trying to convince my wife that this is a trip I just have to take. Problem is baby #2 is due October 12th...Maybe a late season hunt...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts