Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new hunter and just purchased a shotgun and I was wondering if I got the right one for deer hunting primarily. The guy at BassPro said it was. I live in Ohio.
I got a Remington 870 Express Magnum Combo in 12 ga.
It came with both a slug barrel and a shot barrel.

Are the ballistics and accuracy of the 3.5" slugs that much better than 3's or 2.75's to justify their added cost and recoil?

I "plink" with an old Turkish Mauser in 8mm so the added recoil really isn't that big of a concern.

R

·
0 Posts
being a shotgun only state i think its a great choice. try different slugs and find the one that gives you the best group. 3", 2 3/4", win. rem, lightfield,

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
classic gun i'll pass on those 3 1/2's tho i like my shoulder attached to my body and not black and blue:yucky: thats for sadists

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I'm a new hunter and just purchased a shotgun and I was wondering if I got the right one for deer hunting primarily. The guy at BassPro said it was. I live in Ohio.
Are the ballistics and accuracy of the 3.5" slugs that much better than 3's or 2.75's to justify their added cost and recoil?
I "plink" with an old Turkish Mauser in 8mm so the added recoil really isn't that big of a concern.
The Remington 870 Express Mag. is an excellent choice it's the most popular shotgun in the field today.

Remington Quote.
If the Model 870™ were introduced today, it would be hailed as a major advance in pump-action shotgun design
the ultimate in strength, durability, silky-smooth bind-free action, and sleek classical lines.
Yet this remarkable shotgun has been around for almost half a century,
and has become the best-selling shotgun of any type in history, with over nine million made..

I have the Rem. 870 Express Mag. also, after shooting the 2-3/4" & 3" Remington Sabot slugs
I couldn't detect any niticeable differences other than energy and velocity... So I can't say one cartridge is better over the other
I was very impressed with how those Remington saboted slugs performed in the Rem. 870for me It turned out to be a good match..
Personally I use the 3" only because It has greater hitting power, Not because it was better than the 2-3/4". I hope this helps.
Good Luck...

·
Registered
190 Posts
classic gun i'll pass on those 3 1/2's tho i like my shoulder attached to my body and not black and blue:yucky: thats for sadists
the only exception for that rule is turkey hunting i find the 3 1/2" give me a tighter group than the others. i also have a rem 870 express. love it ive sued it for everything from rabbit to deer and ducks and gees to dove and whateverelse you can thank of heck i even shot a vulture that was killing the chickens one time. i love it:thumbup: great choice

R

·
0 Posts
i tried the 3 1/2 hevi shot and got a better pattern with the 3". goes to show every gun is different even if the model is the same.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Good choise on the remington. I got the express in 3" and haven't shot it yet I too will be interested in how it preforms with slugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies guys! I guess there are some good customer service folks left out there. Thanks Gary at BassPro in Perrysburg, Oh. I was a little leery about spending that kind of money getting the gun with 2 barrels but I guess it was a good choice. Now I just have to wait for deer season:coffee:

·
Registered
190 Posts
dont wait to long to make sure everything is in good shape pick out your slugs and find out what you wan tto shoot now dont wait till the last second to try and cram in your sighting in and practice shooting.:coffee:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
:goodposting: so true some guns dont like certain ammo.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Just because you can use 3 1/2s does not mean you have to. Shoot what is comfortable for you and of course accuracy is everything!

·
Registered
8 Posts

The Remington 870 pump is great all purpose shotgun!
Unless it says "Super" in front of "Magnum" it isn't a 3.5 inch chamber. The 870 Magnum is a 3 inch chamber, the 870 Super Magnum is the 3.5" chamber. Shoot whatever is more comfortable to you the more comfortable you are the better you will shoot. You don't have to shoot the most powerful and most expensive slugs on the shelf. I dropped a 176 pound 7 point in his tracks at 60 yards, with a 2 3/4 inch Remington Slugger (yeah the three dollar per box ones). You didn't mention if your slug barrel was rifled or smooth bore but if it's rifled you
will want to shoot sabot slugs and if its a smooth bore you will want to shoot rifled slugs for best performance. Happy shooting!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts