Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have you heard hunters say they shot a 200 lb buck and the pictures they post show what you know to be a live weight of 150 at best. Until we started using a scale in PA we had always assumed that we were hanging 130 lb field dressed bucks. Guess what? We've never hung a 130 lb buck! If we happen to shoot a 3.5 year old he might make 120 lb hanging weight. All we were doing was guesstimating and doing what a lot of hunters do over estimating. 200 lbs is a big deer. The only time I've come close was a N Ohio doe that field dressed 165, she would have been close but most likely below the magic 200.

·
Registered
517 Posts
So true hm!! The biggest buck i have ever seen (on scales) weighed in at 248lb dressed!!it was a cow!!!so over estemating weight is a very easy thing to do!!i have done it myself!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
I killed my biggest buck two years ago (a nice 8pt) and after dragging it up and down revenes a quarter mile (because very little room for an atv), i felt like I had a monster, but i would bet he only weighed in the low 100's dressed (like real low 100's)

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats exactly what I mean what a giant looking buck! Cut him in half and you have a PA buck. Very nice. When was he taken?

·
Registered
591 Posts
NT?? :confused::confused: Don't understand, unless I've worked too long today.

Ahhh Non Typical. Duh, been a long day. Nice buck. Yea lets hear the story......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats exactly what I mean what a giant looking buck! Cut him in half and you have a PA buck. Very nice. When was he taken?

I saw a scale in a magazine this morning.. I need one

Nice buck burly you need to telll us the story
Will do next week. Am waiting on this story to run again Sunday on the Outdoor Channel , then I'll post some more pics and fill in the story for those who don't see it on TV;

schedule posted here

http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/6358-my-deer-story-tv-week.html

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
I wouldn't cut that buck in half if it's from 1987... the meat may just be a little bad.... :)
I once shot a doe that decided she'd jump a creek before dying. Well I really would've liked her to stay on my side of the creek, b/c I didn't want to cross it b/c of the steepness of the bank on the other side. After pulling that doe up that bank and up that hill I could've sworn that lady weighed 500 pounds!!!!!! My goodness, talk about a workout. Bet she only weighed 100lbs!
Thing to remember, dead weight always seems like it weighs more.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
all vermont deer harvests have to be weighed in (on scales) at game check in stations.
Vermont does a really good job at keeping data on all game harvests including dressed weights.

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok guys what does this little guy weight

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
Thick neck, broad chest, nice rack, about 4.5 - 5.5 yrs old? Guessing 120-140 dressed out like that? Would like to know how close I am with the weight guess.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This looks like the same buck as in the other post on guessing the weight, we need only one post per buck and please give an answer on who was the closest. Thanks. HM

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is a eight point, 4.5 year old that was #3 in NH two years ago. Actual true weight live was 302 lbs. dressed at 234 lbs. HUGE NECK !!! NOVEMBER 23RD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts