Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times have you heard hunters say they shot a 200 lb buck and the pictures they post show what you know to be a live weight of 150 at best. Until we started using a scale in PA we had always assumed that we were hanging 130 lb field dressed bucks. Guess what? We've never hung a 130 lb buck! If we happen to shoot a 3.5 year old he might make 120 lb hanging weight. All we were doing was guesstimating and doing what a lot of hunters do over estimating. 200 lbs is a big deer. The only time I've come close was a N Ohio doe that field dressed 165, she would have been close but most likely below the magic 200.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I killed my biggest buck two years ago (a nice 8pt) and after dragging it up and down revenes a quarter mile (because very little room for an atv), i felt like I had a monster, but i would bet he only weighed in the low 100's dressed (like real low 100's)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thats exactly what I mean what a giant looking buck! Cut him in half and you have a PA buck. Very nice. When was he taken?

I saw a scale in a magazine this morning.. I need one

Nice buck burly you need to telll us the story
Will do next week. Am waiting on this story to run again Sunday on the Outdoor Channel , then I'll post some more pics and fill in the story for those who don't see it on TV;

schedule posted here

http://www.deerhuntersclub.com/forums/lodge/6358-my-deer-story-tv-week.html

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I wouldn't cut that buck in half if it's from 1987... the meat may just be a little bad.... :)
I once shot a doe that decided she'd jump a creek before dying. Well I really would've liked her to stay on my side of the creek, b/c I didn't want to cross it b/c of the steepness of the bank on the other side. After pulling that doe up that bank and up that hill I could've sworn that lady weighed 500 pounds!!!!!! My goodness, talk about a workout. Bet she only weighed 100lbs!
Thing to remember, dead weight always seems like it weighs more.

·
Administrator
5,527 Posts
all vermont deer harvests have to be weighed in (on scales) at game check in stations.
Vermont does a really good job at keeping data on all game harvests including dressed weights.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.