Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's getting harder out there every day folks.

ALBION, Ind. -- A northeastern Indiana hunter has died after struggling with a buck he had just shot.

The Indiana Department of Natural Resources says 62-year-old Paul Smith of Fort Wayne died Monday during a deer reduction hunt at Chain O'Lakes State Park about 20 miles northwest of the city. It says the Noble County coroner says the death was due to a lacerated liver, possibly suffered during the struggle. ...Full Story

·
Registered
773 Posts
Sorry to hear stories like this but This is why I give all my kills time to spire, and when aproching I'm always looking for tounge hanging out first from a distance.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
WOW - that is horrible. I'm always cautious approaching any deer, even a doe! I make sure I nudge it from a safe distance away before getting too close

·
Registered
96 Posts
I learned to let deer expire the hard way. When I was about 15 I was bow hunting with my dad. He had shot a good 8pt and I was so excited for him I ran right up on the deer and grabbed it. The deer jumped up, began to kick, and tried to gore me with its antlers. I jumped back and ran to a somewhat safe distance. The deer jumped up again and tried to charge but fell over only a few feet from where it was laying and finally passed.....pretty scary. I did have my bow and my dad had gone to the truck to get his knife. I got lucky but learned a valuable lesson

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sounds like we all learned that way. I learned on a not so dead wild hog. Walked up to him, kicked him in the testicles. Evidently that is what wakes up a comatose pig. Good thing I had a pistol in my hand.

After that I give an animal plenty of time.

·
Super Moderator
3,347 Posts
Sounds like we all learned that way. I learned on a not so dead wild hog. Walked up to him, kicked him in the testicles. Evidently that is what wakes up a comatose pig. Good thing I had a pistol in my hand.

OH MY I might just wake from the dead on that one & you probably would need to use your pistol

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had a bow-shot doe kick me into the next county some years ago. It has made me a tad more coutious when approaching any down animal for any reason.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts

:w00t:LOL that cracks me up
Glad you didnt get hurt

·
Registered
189 Posts
It's funny now but when it happened I was pretty shaken up. It was about midnight, I was sitting over a lit feeder in a blind. I had my phone in one hand for light asi walked up to him, pistol in the other. I totally did not expect it. My buddy was in a blind about a mile away.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I always approach then from behind after I'm pretty sure that they are dead. Basically I want their hooves on the opposite side of the deer that I am on. Then I carefully poke them in the eye with the end of my muzzle. That way if they suddenly "wake up" I just pull the trigger.

·
Registered
824 Posts
And people want to know why I strap on my Ruger Blackhawk before walking out the door with my rifle?? Blackhawk in hand when approaching the deer . . . no brainer there.

RR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts