Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice fellow hunters. Ive just got a 6 foot tall tripod is this high enough off the ground. I hunt NC game lands mostly and the deer are very easily spooked.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Where Im hunting 6 ft would not be enough. I am in the woods where the deer can easily spot you if your sitting at basically eye level. I dont know how the NC game lands are set up though. If your going to be taking a long range shot than yes it might work fine. 6 foot is almost low enough you could consider hunting off the ground if you have smooth, clear terrain.

And welcome to the site.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
kinda low ,why so low?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
With a rifle, it all depends on what the 6' height allows you to see. We have some members hunting from ground shacks so getting up even 6' may be enough for certain conditions. Only you can determine if your seeing enough shooting lanes, open spots, creek bottom, swamp entrances/exits ect ect, at that height. Good luck hunting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thinks guys Ive hunted the game lands from a bull blind and done well killed two 9 pionters and some small 8s. the game land has roads with gates on them that go for miles so u have to walk. I was thinking that 6 foot would be better than right on the ground. ill try it any way and thinks agian any more advice

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
dont take it the wrong way.sometimes i forget that we all dont hunt from a perch in the trees .My bad congrats on your past kills .can you give more details on the area your hunting?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The area that i hunt most is the roads in the game land, that are cut off from trucks. u have to walk. there is a canal on 1 side that is 15 foot wide and about 8 deep, but water only runs about 3 foot wide. accept this year kinda dry. land around that is mix some marsh and hard timber. the tripod is one that i made and its weight is only 28 pounds and it only costed me $60 and yes it has camo around it. i could go bigger but gets harder to walk. my blind/chair ways more than that and the tripod doubles as a deer dragger.

THIS IS WHERE U CAN SEE A MAP OF THE GAME LAND http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg04_HuntingTrapping/GameLand_Maps/Coastal/Van_Swamp.pdf

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
It looks to me like down around the Church Rd. Area is where the Big bucks are going to be hanging out at,
at least that's where I'd want to be, I'd position myself as near the center of Church road as possible.
Here's is a link to show you an Aerial View of that Area. (Van Swamp area NC) <-click to view

Scout it out some, look along the edge of the road in that area for tracks or droppings
that might indicate where they may be crossing/browsing.
I bet if you're patient and stay focused you'll see deer down along that area. good Luck to you.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
what is in those blocks of white?inside the hunting area?.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i was hoping they were crops ,oh well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
me 2

im in the same boat you are. i have a like a 5 and a half foot ladder stand and i aint sure if its high enough. if possible its a good idea to sorta set your stand back in the brush and cut a few limbs to add a little more camoflauge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Need some advice fellow hunters. Ive just got a 6 foot tall tripod is this high enough off the ground. I hunt NC game lands mostly and the deer are very easily spooked.
Thanks
I think in NC you have to be at least 8 feet off the ground to hunt with a rifle. If it was me I would try to get as high as I could or have a lot of cover around the stand its self to hide movement.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i just saw an ad for platforms that hold ground blinds is this what your doing?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think in NC you have to be at least 8 feet off the ground to hunt with a rifle. If it was me I would try to get as high as I could or have a lot of cover around the stand its self to hide movement.
Yes that is true in some counties but not where I hunt

1 - 20 of 21 Posts