Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spring Green up is well under way here. How has everyone fared with spring scouting for next season? Or does anyone do any winter / spring scouting?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'm Planning On Going This Weekend Sence Most Of The Snow Is Gone But The Trails Are Still There.hopefully The Rain Holds Off

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
gonna try to do some turkey/deer /shed scouting this weekend

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
ya got that right TG

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
:useless:

Hickory creek, I looked at your site it looks like a great set up.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Just got back from my lease ground,scouting for turkey and shed hunting, found about 30 sheds. Some real hogs made it through the season.It took 2 days and about 10 miles of boot leather. found 2 matched sets...

Man in all the time that I spend in the woods I've only found 1 spiker shed that I almost sat on when turkey hunting one time. Almost a serious ouchy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am planning on getting out real soon. I just bought two Stealth Cam digital cameras on clearance at Dicks, ($100.00 ea regular $259.00ea) I have tried them out hear at the house and man do they work nice. I need to get down to my lease and get them set up ASAP.

I have never done much early season scounting. What are some of the things you all are looking for?:unsure:

G

·
here I'm looking to see what made it through the winter, sheds. Trails and areas that were used last fall. Anything that may have been over looked last year. rub lines that were missed. try to narrow down bedding areas. secondary trails that pharrell the main trails down wind. Basically cover everything that would mess up my hunt if I did it in the fall. do it now and the deer should fall into a somewhat similar pattern. take notes on a topo and then when the season rolls around you can just slip in and not muck up the deer.

G

·
very good point. keeping in contact, face time, with the land owner.

I'm checking out a new piece of land and found a very nice buck track in the snow. Still to much snow to get around to far but I put a camera out and its a start.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Muleskinner...look for everything you would in the fall. If you get there before the greenup all the sign from the fall will be easy to see. In the spring you don't have to worry about spooking deer. So detail it out, map it out, make notes of everything you can find...now is the time!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts