Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much do deer move in the rain... if at all. Ive seen them in light rain but anything more it seems they bed down and dont move. what are the facts.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Deer tend to move around in light to med rains "IF" the wind is low to moderate.
Heavy rain and high winds on the other hand will send deer straight to their bellies,
so chances of seeing them are better during light rains or low winds BUT deer have been spotted under ALL rain and wind conditions
so I guess there's no set rules with them.
Hope this helps.

G

·
thats pretty much the way i see it bruce. but now add in the rut factor. i think a buck during the rut is more like the postman. neither rain, sleet, snow, or glum of night (add in the wind) will stay him from his appointed rounds.

this is just an opinion though. the facts? well............i don't think there are any guarantees when it comes to deer. or turkeys

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya ok, well this is kinda what i thought and then i read a couple good articles. it was pretty windy and rainy here today and i didnt see a thing. but tomorrow looks much better. so hopefully i will get lucky.

·
Registered
62 Posts
as a prime example. This evening I had six deer in front of the stand. All of a sudden they moseyed off. Within a minute the strong rain hit... I assume they went to bed down. my 2 cents

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ive seen them in light rain only. Once I was in a blind when a sudden downburst struck and a doe ran as fast as it could to the thicket. Scent, hearing and sight are diminished. Personally I wont stand hunt if its raining but Ill start slippin unless its a downpour.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts