Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got a dear on thursday afternoon, i cleaned and skinned it that night. it was -1 degree celcius, just below freezing, i hung it in my garage all night with windows open so it was cold, and all friday, it got up to +10 degrees celcius in the day then dropped back down to -2 celcius that night, and i took it saturday morning to the butcher, is the meat still good?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
any thing below 40 degrees is safe.When in doubt always clean the body cavity with a hose if possible .then skin the deer ,the hide retains heat big time ,if your worried bout bugs use a game bag or lots of black pepper.put as many bags of ice that will fit in the body cavity and tie the the cavity shut.keep in the shade.a deer will keep for days like this.believe it or not you can , i wouldn't,once the body is chilled put it in a sleeping bag .Its supposed to insulate it.never tried but hey your cooler is nothing but an insulated box:unsure::coffee:

·
Registered
798 Posts
From the temps you gave, it sounds like you had great hanging weather. You could have hung it under those conditions for several days and some would prefer to do that. Also, leaving the skin on under those conditions might also be preferrable since this keeps the surface meat from drying out. Congratulations on your fine venison!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts