Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to bowhunt in either Pope County or Pike County in Illinois. Any feedback on comparisons of the two areas would be greatly appreciated to assist in my decision.

R

·
0 Posts
I've never been there but I'm headed there this fall. Using Golden Triangle Whitetails. They have 18000 acres in Pike Adams and one other co but can't remember which one. Personally I think that whole area of Il Mo Ky have the potential for lots of big deer. Are you using an outfitter or hunting public land? is there any public land in Il? Any way I'll hopefully have first hand knowledge of someone taking a 200" in Il this nov. Ok two being taken there. happy wmi?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i've never been either but i was speaking to a guy who went over the weekend and i said oh golden triangle .he said they stink dont go try anybody else.dont remember why but he was very unhappy with them:yucky:

R

·
0 Posts
I hope you're wrong or he's wrong. I liked the way they did things compared to the other outfitters I talked to. I talked to a couple of guys that hunted there and one of the guides. I saw some mounts that came from there. the things I liked; The guides never get to hunt the properties, no trophy fees, they don't do any hunting till the last weekend of Oct, and they had taken some big deer. I also liked the fines for shooting the wrong deer. they were serious about shooting just the big ones. I talked to the owner, who has done a couple hunting shows with big name tv hunters, and he said he knew of 4 200" deer that were running the properties but they are hard to see let alone get. Those are just the ones he knows about. they did take one that was 200" with a shotgun last season. I'm looking forward to it and hope to have some good pics of my hall hanger. I say with fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Hello heinch and welcome aboard, we're glad to have you. I don't know anything about the Illinois deer pop. but everytime I turn on the Outdoor or Hunt channels all I see is Illinois monster buck prancing around the screen. I think that you'll do fine in either county, good luck with your decision.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Ronn, in Nov. 17th, 2007 at 10:54am a fella named "crabclaw" made a post in the Lodge that totally annihilated the Golden Triangle outfit, I mean tore it up. The only way that I can think of getting to his post for a look is to go to the "members" option atop the screen and go to the letter "c" and find crabclaw then view all posts by him. That was the only post made by him on this site. Sorry if I put a damper on your plans but I thought you should know from a members personal exp with that outfit.-------- Or you could go to the search option atop and type Golden Triangle search all posts and forums and that should zip you right to it.

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks for letting me know about the post. Like I said I talked to a couple guys that hunted there and saw their mounts. The owner called this spring basically to make sure I did some shooting before I got there. He, the owner, had a rough season with the "hunters" they had in. One guy shot the little buck 110" that was with the big 160". another guy missed a big buck at 10 yards. That was during shotgun. They didn't recover almost 20 deer due to poor shooting from the "hunters". I'm sure it's a good placed based on the people I asked about it. Anyway thinks for the word.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
crab claw
Scrub Buck Join Date: Nov 2007

Golden Triangle, IL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just returned from a bow hunting trip to IL, at Golden Triangle. I do NOT recommend Golden Triangle. There were too many hunters (30 +/-). The land they put us on was garbage and the stands were 40-50 yards of the trails. It took 4 days of begging for them to move us, on the last day. Once Golden Trianlge had our money, they didn't care what happened during our hunt!

For bow hunters like my cus and I, a guided trip like this one was a once in a life time trip, and Golden Trianlge turned our dream trip into a nightmare!

Don't ever go to Golden Trianlge!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I hope it works out ronn .i myself wanted to go there .so you can give us yout report:thumbup:

R

·
0 Posts
Me too. Thanks for the input guys. I read what crab claw had to say. 30 guys on 18000 acres isn't very many. Had I heard it more than a year ago i might have rethought the hunt. I asked a pretty well known hunting personality about the place and he thought it, and Mike Pavlick the owner, was a good place but that we were going a couple weeks to early. i told him we were the first hunters on the property and he thought, like me, that will kinda make up for being early. 5 1/2 days of bow hunting 200" deer. I'll be very happy with a 170".

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
ronn is it a bowhunt or rifle/shotgun? Either way you'll show them how to drop a buck in its tracks and restore the Outfitter's confidence in his clients. Maybe it went both ways the clients didn't get their poorly hit game and the outfitter didn't have kind words for his clients abilit'y to shoot. Anyway I hope that 200" monster walks your way. Speaking of shotguns, I'm setting up a Remington Express 12 ga mag with a (Leupold 3X9 rifleman ex bought for my birthday this year, ya I know why is she still my ex!!!!). Gun came with 2 barrels one being the 20" rifled. I read where Remington has a new shotgun slug that is accurate out to 200 yds. I remember all we had was the old pumpkin balls good for 50-75 yds if you were lucky. This will be my midwest deer gitter.

R

·
0 Posts
Its a bow hunt. yeah i'm sure there are those that think very highly of any outfitter and those that don't of the same outfitter. i think a lot of it has to do with the guide. hope i get a good one. He has a rule if you shoot and loose the deer you write a check for $500, if you don't get a deer after that you get your check back. You shoot a 125 to 150 inch deer he keeps the check, over 150" you get your check back. If you shoot and loose another deer your hunt is done. Sounds harsh but thats what needs to happen to drive the point home. Its a fine of $500 for a buck shot under 125" and if you shoot that deer on the last day its $750. I figure these guys are serious. one of the things I liked about them. Of course they help you track so you are not on your own there. so a $2200 5 1/2 day hunt lodging and meals included for a REAL chance at that buck on the cover of North American Whitetail can run into a lot more if you don't take the hunt serious. Ohio is slug gun only isn't it? I have always wondered why. Whats different about Ohio that isn't the same in PA or KY?

R

·
0 Posts
i was just thinking, which is something that can get me in trouble, it could be another golden triangle. thats what they call that whole area. also it seems i've seen another outfitter with the golden triangle in their name.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Ronn I've never been to Golden Triangle either but I have also heard some negative about the place,
I'm sorry to have say that but If you go I hope you have a more positive visit with them.

R

·
0 Posts
they got my $$ so i'm going. i'm sure it'll be fine. if not you guys will surely hear about it. you'll hear about it either way i suppose.

·
Registered
591 Posts
heinch....I live 20 miles from Pope County. There 'is alot of deer there and some good bucks. But I think Pike and Adams Counties would be better as far as quality of bucks. There's something to say for the amount of managed land up there. pope County is more rougher ground. Do a search for Shawnee National Forest in Illinois. That should give you an idea what pope county looks like. Pike and adams is not as rough.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
either way im sure you'll have a great time and see pleanty of big bucks:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Words of wisdom

Good luck with the hunt. I read serval other complaints about them on bowsite.com. Don't forget that you are paying for the opportunity to hunt, not to actually shoot a deer. Read your contract and make sure you understand that when you pay a guide you are paying for the CHANCE> Do not go expecting a for sure thing. Planning on a 170'' and then only seeing 10 or 12 130'' will mess you up psychologically.

Once again goodluck and keep us posted.

R

·
0 Posts
I've talked to guys that have hunted there at liked it. I've talked to one guy that hasn't hunted with these guys but thought highly of them. so its a crap shoot. I figure the odds of poking a hole in a 200 is around 10% or less. A 170 40% and 150 50% less than 150 is 0% cause I'm going to pass. best odds of getting a deer is around 60% thanks I sure will let you all know about the hunt.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
ronn, I hope the buck you want shows up, should be a really great time. I think I may spend some time looking for that 12 pt the first week of Nov.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts