Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
You're not alone, I have never shot a deer in Ohio's national forrests. Hunters seem to be strung about every 50 yds on first two days of shotgun and muzzleloading seasons. I have not bowhunted in any of Ohio's forrests.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good bucks

there some darn good bucks in national forest here. they only move at nite though. all these city boys come in here and ruin it for all of us. theyl shoot a bush if it moves!

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
try going deeper into the woods

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
locating deer on private land isn't any easier than a national forest.. Whether it's private land or open land It all boils down to scouting the area to try and locate a deers three main areas of concern (food source, travel corridors & bedding) those are the basics and if you concentrate on those three areas you, like everyone else will see some deer. always remember scent control and your movement those are the two factors that will get you busted every time.
good luck :coffee:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Bruce no one could have said it better and Joel you are right on the money. The only other thing left unsaid was that you need to learn how to hunt other hunters ------ Meaning you need to put together a approach that you can utilize other hunters movements to your benefit.:wink:

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I'll take private property everytime vs National forrests. I understand all thats been said here but the one thing that is different is you don't have to fight other hunters. I want deer to act naturally, the least amount of pressure the better. I know, use the pressure to drive deer to you and all the other tactics when hunting heavily pressured deer but when there's so many hunters that you're safety is compromised thats too much for me. Ohio's southern state lands simply have too many hunters for me. I may be spoiled where I hunt but thats ok. Maybe there are areas where the crouds can be beat or utalized but I haven't found them. This is the reason I don't hunt Ohio very often.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
preasured deer

i hate huntin preasured deer 2. iv seen a few hunts in ohio. from wut i can tell there are some monsters roamin the area.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
ya got to work with the cards your dealt:wink:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Joel's right, sometimes hunters are just stuck with hunting open state lands or national forests,
whatever the reason, they have to learn to adapt to that type of hunting environment. :smile:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i take deer every year off of state land it can be done

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
i hear ya try to hunt on "off days"

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have hunted Western NY state forests and it can be crowded. I do see deer but there usually tweaked out running into cover at 20MPH. I usually hunt for hunters then set up nearby but not my preference. I like private land with strategically placed treestands. I call these spots "places without faces".

·
Registered
562 Posts
I once called in two hunters at the same time by rattling in a public hunting spot in Missouri. The wierd thing was that they both came from upwind.:biggrin: For hunting these spots i don't know...I never really found anything that works other than getting there and to your spot on the backside before the others get there. Then like someone else eluded to...practice your running shots. :wink: good luck, and try to find a local farmer to hunt on...

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
No flexj, I don't think anyone should practice their running shots. Running shots create stray bullets,
stray bullets are dangerous to every hunter in the woods, I surely dont want any stray bullets around me
and I bet you don't want them around you either.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I second that. No running shots ever,never,ever. Safety issue with low probability of any success. Stop them in there tracks by grunting or a sharp whistle, ensure safe back drop, bear down and let one rip.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Whoa...down boys, it was just a joke meaning that the deer would be haulin' arse as they whiz by the stand. Sorry for any confusion...I hope that no one actually takes running shots at deer:wallbash:

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
flexj, I'm not spankin ya, LOL I know you're a seasoned hunter and I trust you wouldn't take pot shots at a running deer.
we have a lot of youth hunters here at the site that might get to thinking that pop shots at
running deer might be ok.
So now you see why it's important that we address those sort of statements before they are taken the wrong way.
:wink:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts