Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's in Florida, it's legal to feed as long as you do it continously for 6 months prior to season. Question. My trail cam shows several deer feeding on corn. I switched to pellets (mixed maybe 25% pellets to 75% corn). The deer eat the corn but won't touch the pellets. So i was told to use flavored pellets. I mixed some flavored pellets in and now I see no deer. I have seen lots of coons, a bobcat and a coyote eating at the feeder. Is it just coincidence, being extremely hot and Summer? Or is it the pellets?

·
Registered
591 Posts
From my experience, deer seem to be kind of finicky when it comes to feed. They'll eat corn big time but will be wary of anything else. I have been told to gradually mix another feed with corn and slowly wean the corn out. Like 25% feed & 75% corn, after a couple of times mix 50% feed & 50% corn. Gradually take the corn out and they should eat the feed once they get use to it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like I said, I'm using 25% or less pellets mixed with the corn. The corn will be gone but the pellets are still there.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Sorry bout that, it's kind of early yet. I didn't read properly. What kind of feed? Specialy for deer?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been using two different brands of deer pellets, neither seem to apeal to the deer, but I was wondering the same thing -if the coytoes were keeping the deer away. I've heard pros & cons on that.

R

·
0 Posts
i'm not sure about any of it.

a side note though. i read an article about feeding deer corn. it was a study done by the biologist in wv. it seems there are different grades? for lack of a better word, of corn. the corn we eat, the corn cows eat, and what is called deer corn. now it seems there is a fungus that will grow on corn and the deciding factor of what eats the corn is by how much fungus is on the corn. deer corn having the most. it seem that this fungus is hurting turkey reproduction. with less eggs and fewer hatching. so if this is true as wv biologists say it is folks may want to feed cow corn instead of deer corn.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Doan know about yall but the "deer corn" around here sells for about $4-$5 a bag more than "cow" corn at the feed store. No question of which one I buy :biggrin: I really always thought corn is corn. The deer corn was just in a Deer Corn bag.....

R

·
0 Posts
they sell deer corn at our local wally world. i checked the bag and it says less than 20 ppm of whatever that thing is. what i got from the article update is check the bag for the less than 20ppm.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The term ppm refers to parts per million of a known substance to a known standard value. Huh I didnt know I could even spell those big words.

R

·
0 Posts
the "whatever that thing is" was referring to aflatoxin, not the 20 ppm. the toxin that the fungus produces which is on the corn and is harmful to everying that eats it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
On this subject, I could use a little advice myself...trying to bring some deer up to the fence in the woods behind our house with corn. Behind the short distance of woods is some field area with a couple driveways and stuff that some business guy owns. I've seen a bunch of fairly decent bucks and since it's in city limits all I can really do is feed them, watch them, look for their sheds in the spring.

So how should I go about luring the deer, or at least tipping them off that there is corn along the fence line. Should I just keep putting out corn until they find it? Can they smell corn from a distance?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
when all their preferred food sources are gone they will go after the corn. I hope the feeding will not put the deer in harms way ie car accidents crossing roads ect.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nope there is no road, just narrow paved driveways through the property that construction workers have been using. Not likely they would hit a deer unless they were out later than usual and driving too fast. Should they come after the corn during the fall when the vegetation dies?

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
Catman529 there is a website that sells sweet corn scent in small bottles and it smells just as good as a piece of corn when you pop the corn pieces. I use it once in a while. I'll let you know when I remember the site.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks, sounds interesting. The deer should find the corn sooner or later. I'm putting it along the wire fence on the property line so during the spring (shed season) I can put corn directly under the fence to use it as an antler catch.

Oh and earlier today there were 2 turkey hens and their young poults that stopped by to eat some of the kernels in our yard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sometimes it takes them a while to find it. I'e seen coyotes, bobcats, a woodpecker, and lots of coons at mine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts