Deer Hunting Forums banner

Deer Chatter

6K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Buckshot 
I have sat back and read all of the posts and many have good points. Being a trophy hunter I will tell you that there is not a single buck on my wall that a call did not play a major part in harvesting that animal. My first suggestion is to buy the video by Wood Wise products called Vocal Whitetails. Watch it over and over. It will give you just the starting points of calling after that it is hours spent on stand. Whitetails communicate constantly even if you the hunter never hear them. Whitetails live by their nose and ears. If you learn how to combine these two things to paint a picture in the head of a deer you can sell them on coming in for a visit. Whitetails are highly social animals wanting and needing companionship of other deer. There are many books and videos on this subject but only you spending time in the field doing trail and error can put together all of the different scenarios to make your calling successful. The second part of calling is being able to read whitetail body language. Lastly whitetails are not dogs coming running in to a whistle. Many times they will take their good ole time making their way to your stand. There is far too much to go over here to be of great help. Only time in the woods can truly teach you how to call properly but nothing about calling is 100% fool proof.

There are so many calls a deer uses it will just take time to learn them. Keep in mind you have to also be able to learn deer body language. Many times they will hear you but only respond by a twitch of the tail or ears. You also have to learn the calls in association with the time of year as well as the tone of the calls depend much on where the individual stands in the hierarchy of the herd. It really is very interesting to learn and will help a great deal getting them in bow range. The last thing is they are much like turkeys in the way if they are coming in you have to learn to just shut up and let their curiosity take over. The video does not show all of the calls but does give you a great starting point. The video is trying to sell product but you can use many other company brands as well as even your own mouth to make many sounds with practice. The most important thing is to impart personality into your calling by changing tone and sequence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.