Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In our PA deer camp we have over the years elected to make special hunts by say having everyone use a lever action rifle (no scope) or one year blackpowder only. We might say no tree stands allowed that year. We also charge antler point deductions for two shot deer. Most of the group has at least 15 years at camp and several of us have 30 + years. These things make for a good time and keeps everyone on their toes. Just trying to come up with a new idea is getting hard. How about everyone else, any special deer camp stories?

· Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well now that you asked: on the food side the guys from N Carolina bring seafood that they caught and then we make a giant pot of seafood soup. This would include scallops, clams, shrimp, fish, oysters, corn. We then put two marinated deer hind quarters on a mesquite coal fire and slow cook all day. Food is always one of the big draws to camp. I like to put on a perch & walleye fish dinner. I have been extreemly lucky to have been a part of the old time deer camp group. Michigan hunters also are into deer camps like I have described. Hunting with friends for so many years has been a major blessing for me. If I had to hunt alone I'm afraid that I would quickly loose interest. We generally have three weeks that we get together: bow season, rifle and flintlock season. We share duties, help drag in the deer, set up stands, and try and outdo each other in stories. In all the years we have only lost one permanet member (my brother) which is unbelieveable in todays times. I will try and post some buck pole photos after Monday when I get the new printer/scanner.

· Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
whitetailfever, thats a great chunk of land to hunt privately. I would love to have my own track of land to hunt/fish on. 200-500 acreas would do it. I also hunt in the UP of Michigan with a similar camp set-up. These guys come to PA to bow hunt and I go up there to late season bow hunt.

· Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The very best thing about deer camp is it evolved into a lifetime of friendship that is more like family than just hunting buddies. We were there for kids being born, graduations, weddings, a yes lost ones, this is what deer camp brought to me.This is why after 30 some hunting seasons everyone can't wait to get to camp. Old friends that see one another maybe once or twice a year and having a great week of hunting. Only a few of us do the bow/rifle/flintlock every year. With all the fun that we have please understand we do take our hunting very seriously and by opening morning the stakes have been set very high. So this is hunting camp and what it means to me. I hope all the dad's and their dads have a great father's day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.