Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would really like to incorporate a decoy or 2 into the regiment. The problem is, I would like a good quality dec with out spending a wad on it, or them. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Well, I happen to be designing a new style decoy. This started because I couldn't find any that had all the features I wanted. I tested a proto-type last season and had pretty good results with it. But I'm still working on improving it. Can't tell you everything about it because I plan on getting it patented, but I CAN tell you that it has ALL the features of the very best decoys that are currently available. I'll keep you posted if you would like.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are planning on having these decs available before Oct, definitely, keep me informed. I would like to use some decoys this next season. A buck and a doe.

·
Registered
602 Posts
when i am looking for a nice nanny doe for the freezer, i use my turkey decoys. put them out in a food plot and the deer don't give it a second thought. just come right in. guess they figure it is safe, if the turkeys are there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i use my turkey decoys. put them out in a food plot and the deer don't give it a second thought. just come right in. guess they figure it is safe, if the turkeys are there.
My cousin said he will use a turkey call to do the samething kemster. And I've heard others say the samething. How often does it work?

·
Registered
602 Posts
it works pretty well. i had does that would hang-up and wait till dark to enter a food plot. had to try something. started putting turkey decoys out and the does didn't hang-up. would come out before dark. has worked about 80% of the times i have tried it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
had to come up with something. i find that them big nanny does are more of a challenge to hunt than a nice buck. they rarely make a mistake.

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
kemster99 that is a great idea. Good Post!

x2

Good idea indeed.. Never thought about using turkey decoys like that.

I cant help you with the deer decoys AirBourne. Ive havent bought one yet. Onehores let us know when you get all your ducks in a row. I would like to see them as well.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
112 days till opening day deer bow here and I am still looking for a nice decoy. I've been checking a lot of the outdoors stores but I am not really impressed with what is available. and some of the prices for these things are unbeleivable.

I mean for some of these higher price decoys I would expect the decoy to turn around, pounce on the deer and hold it down till you could walk up and shoot it. and you better hope the deer moving in need glasses.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Decoys

Had a friend tell me the same thing about the turkey decoys. Tried it and worked like a champ. I was able to get a young man, in a wheelchair, close enough to pop off a few shots, at a couple of different deer, in the last couple days of last years hunting season. We were finally able to get him one down. It was 128" 8pt. that no one had seen since two weeks after Tennesse's muzzleloader season opened. It was a perfect first deer for that young man and one of the best times I have ever had.:biggrin:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmmm.
Am I to understand that deer have crossed all barriers and are now actively persuing interspiecie reproduction? We now have bucks sneaking up to put one on a hen?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I would love to hunt over a deer decoy also but can't quite get over the sticker shock. The turkey decoy set up sounds neat. Gives a little extra use and excuse to get a few turkey decoys.

I've considered trying to build a deer decoy. (not enough hobby time) My plan would be to tan a deer hide with the fur on and stretch it over a wire frame. My bet would be that this would be bulky and a lot of work to get it in place but would look a lot more realistic than plastic bodied decoys.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Man, some of you guys are really on the ball, while my old brain is going downhill it is encouraging that there are still brains that work great. Love the turkey thing, I would never have thought of that. Will give it a try ,Can"t hurt.
Good job!
daddus1

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The turkey decoys concept is not too far fetched to believe. last year when I had my first of several lets call him (blessed buck) encounters. it occurred very shortly after I watched for 20 minutes or so, 2 gobblers walk in from nowhere to within 15 yds of my stand. deer associate turkeys as The coast is clear.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts