Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
OhioMike, can't help you on this one, but I would like to hear how you do with it. I've thought about using a decoy just haven't. My thoughts would be a doe with good estrus scent used during the rut by fresh scrapes. If a person used two decoys I would use a small buck and doe with estrus call/scent and maybe rattle some. Someone here should have experience on this. Good luck and let us know what happens!

· Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
I really don't think a mature buck in the rut will come out to investigate another buck standing in an open field doing nothing. You need something that he is pursuing, like a doe in estrus, or possibly antler rattling, indicating a fight over an estrus doe. Maybe having the buck decoy standing over another's scrape? Most rutting bucks have one thing on their mind and it better smell/sound like it or I don't think they will pay any attention to it. BB and I differ on scent use, try both ways and let us know.

· Super Moderator
8,472 Posts
I'm heading to PA this saturday. The rut will be going on around the 6-12 there. I'll be using two different doe in heat scents in 3 hanging branches overlooking fresh scrapes. Encounters with bucks happens nearly every day during the rut. The three point on one side requirement means waiting for the right one to show up. Mathews and Muzzy are teamed up and ready to go.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.