Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Administrator
5,531 Posts
If you're going to set your buck out in a field, I would suggest keeping it facing away from the woods. (that lets other bucks know the field is safe, if he's facing the woods that might indicate danger to other deer looking to come out and he's ready to head back into the woods.)
Also don't use any scents the first time around, make sure you spray the decoy really good with 99% (ScentAway) that's a clean setup, if your Buck sees your decoy it'll come out but if it smells what might be a superior buck it may not come out.
the results from the clean setup will determine what you should do next.

Good Luck

· Administrator
5,531 Posts
I really don't think a mature buck in the rut will come out to investigate another buck standing in an open field doing nothing.
BB and I differ on scent use, try both ways and let us know.
I personally saw a buck go into a guys back yard and attack his 3d decoy had I not seen it I would have struggled to believe it, I've also seen episodes on the outdoor channel that discussed using decoy deer to lure bucks.
As far as the scent I would only use scents if the buck indicated to me that he was in heavy rut OR if I seen him chasing doe's otherwise I would totally avoid scents especially if you're not sure about current rutting activities..

Take a look at this deer attacking a Decoy.

· Administrator
5,531 Posts
If you're going to be on the ground make sure to de-scent everything
(99% scent away, you and ALL your equipment, even the bow) I'm looking forward to the pics. :w00t:

· Administrator
5,531 Posts
I had him facing the woods about 40-50 yards from the edge w/no scent.
I think when tomorrow morning i'm going to use the doe decoy. Maybe this big boy will feel more comfortable with a doe.
Your decoy should have been facing away from the woods BUT it's ok at least you got to see that using a decoy works. I think I would still keep it as a Buck but face it away from the woods next time around but then again a doe setup might work as well.
NOTE:
facing the buck towards the field is like being in a boxing ring as a boxer and timberghost (a real boxer) will back this up. a boxer facing you is more of a threat than a boxer heading back to his corner.
Now imagine the buck seeing another buck in the field, well he's heading back to the woods so it's no big deal BUT if he was facing the other way well then maybe we gotta show him who's field this is. make sense? Id still avoid the scents give it one more time scent free and see what happens.
Goof Luck

· Administrator
5,531 Posts
is it possible to get setup on the opposite end of the field? it looks like the wind is against you on that left hand side, can you get to the other end (the right side) of that field?

· Administrator
5,531 Posts
Looks like your set-up is great, your biggest concern should be the wind, that's why I was thinking getting away from it.

· Administrator
5,531 Posts
Yup Family is always #1, the buck will wait another day or 2. Hope everyone is better soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.