Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a CVA Wolf and wondered how you determine if it's a magnum or are they all able to use 150 grains of powder?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Greetings pluckit, welcome to the DHC...
Did you buy it new? did it come with the Owners manual?
did you look on the CVA CVA website for the answer?

I'm pretty sure the wolf is a magnum but you should check with CVA no matter how many people tell you it's a magnum.

Good Luck

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it yesterday.It doesn't say in the manual or on the gun.And I can't find ant Wolf's advertised that aren't magnums.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
look on page 4 of your manual 2nd paragraph it says.

CVA WOLF MANUAL

"MINIMUM AND MAXUMUM LOADS
CVA recommends a minimum of 50 grains, by volume, of blackpowder or blackpowder
substitute in your .45 or .50 caliber muzzleloader. The maximum load in CVA breakaction
guns, and any other CVA in-line rifle designated as a “Magnum” is 150 grains
by volume.
This maximum load is generally known as the “magnum” load and is best
suited for pelletized powder due to the more efficient burning characteristics of the
powder pellets. Magnum loads of loose powder may be shot but are not recommended
because of their inefficient and incomplete burning of the powder. Some bullet
designs depend on the thrust of the powder charge to expand, or obdurate, the bullet
inside the bore for best accuracy. Loads under 50 grains cannot be depended on to
do this. In many cases lighter bullets are more sensitive to this than heavier bullets
and often require heavy powder charges to produce the best accuracy. For those
who wish to shoot moderate powder charges of 90 to 120 grains the heavier bullets
generally give better results."

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you.I read the manual and that page but the question was how do I know if it is a magnum or not?

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
Thank you.I read the manual and that page but the question was how do I know if it is a magnum or not?
a 150 grain load is a "magnum" load. you can't shoot any more than 150 grain as that is the MAXIMUM LOAD.

What is the video of? if it's a hunting related or shooting video sure you can post it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got off the phone with CVA customer service and they said all CVA wolfs manufactured since 2004 I believe he said are magnum,150 grain,capable.The ones with the QRB (Quick Release Breech) plug were manufactured starting this year,2010.So yes,mine is a magnum.I really only intend to use 100 grains,that is all that should be neccessary.But it's nice to know it's a magnum.Not too bad for 167 dollars.It's my fourth black powder gun by the way.I have 3 others.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
posting video

I'm posting a video that was taken on 08-24-2010 check it out.When it's finished uploadin of course.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
I guess you'll just have to paste the link in a thread,, you can post here in this thread or make a new one.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
to the range

I'm going to the shooting range on Tuesday to sight in my new CVA Wolf.I don't have a scope for it yet but when I get one I will be using see thru rings so I need to sight in the old iron sights anyway.I've read nothing but good reviews on how the Wolf shoots so I'm excited to check it out.I do know that it has an excellant trigger.No creep and a relatively light pull.Much better than my Traditions that cost me over $100 more.Plus it has a feature I've never seen before let alone even heard of.It,the Wolf,has a removable screw in plug in front of the firing pin so that when you remove it the firing pin and spring fall right out so you can clean them and the area where they rest.Ingenius!I'll let y'all know how she shoots Tuesday.

·
Banned
611 Posts
Yeah if you use the Winchester W209 primers with pyrodex/triple 7, they have been super clean in the new wolf. Remington STS primers as well but i havent tried them with either powders.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
primers and pellets

I use the winchester primers but I use the regular Hodgdon Pyrodex pellets.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Personnaly I'm not a pellet user. I like Black Horn loose powder and 209 shotgun primers for in-line rifles. My shoulder knows the difference between pellets :yucky: and loose powder:thumbup:. To me 100 grs of Black Horn gives me almost twice the kick vs pellets therefore my thoughts are that pellets either have a longer burn time thus reducing the instant kick or loose powder is more potent. I'd like to see a side by side comparasion between the two.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
performance

I guess in the end it all comes down to performance.And if I can get 3" groups or under (hopefully under) at 100 yards I'll be happy.And at around $2.50 A shot I'm not going to go fishing around to try to improve on what will be plenty good enough for the hunting conditions I'm faced with.Especially since I'm allready set up with Pellets and 245 grain Copper plated Aerotip Powerbelt bullets.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
overload

On what I've read about powerbelts is that with the higher grain loads you dont get the best penatration and or pass thru as you do with the lighter loads.So I'm not looking to max out the powder load.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I would really put additional effort in to reduce your 100 yd groups to under 2" this just gives you that extra bit of confidence and reduces the chance of a poor hit. The velosity of ML bullets are fairly slow anyway, so complete pass through is a always good thing. I shoot flintlocks with patched round balls and that's about a bad as it gets for performance. I like to use high quality powders/bullets in the in-lines which will put me out to 200 yds with good groups. Plenty good enough would be a starting point for me. Benching your rifle using several bullets and a couple of powders will ultimately bring better results than you are currently getting. Tough advice yup, but I think sound advice. Good luck this fall.

·
Banned
611 Posts
blackhorn burns sort of like smokeless powder, slowly whereas blackpowder, T7, american pioneer go up all at once. Thats why the blackpowder subs kick more. 100gr BH209 feels like 80gr American Pioneer in my rifles.

I know in our wolf's 90gr bh209 and the 245 or 295gr powerbelts group excellent out at 100 yards. We mostly use Thors during hunting season though.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts