Deer Hunting Forums banner

Crossing state lines

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  hunt NH 
#1 ·
want to know some info about crossing state lines with a gun. i am going to be going to Vermont next weekend and want to bring a gun. the only state line i will be crossing is the VT/NH line. i have a NH pistol permit (carry conceal) and know that in vermont you can conceal carry without a permit. i also know that vermont has Resperasity with NH, so when im in VT i can carry. my only question is about crossing the state line with a gun. can i do it?

#2 · (Edited)
Yes, just be sure to carry your permit with you. Vermont doesn't require CC permits but if an out of stater is stopped carrying they are supposed to have their permits on them.

I should also mentioned, that if you're traveling through Vermont with handguns (Unpermitted) you are required to contact the Vt. State Police to inform them that you are transpoting a weapon and you may have to file a form along with any other state you may be traveling through.

Code of Federal Regulations
Title 18 - Part I - Chapter 44 - § 926a
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms
Release date: 2005-08-03
Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:
Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console

#4 ·
If you're not sure maybe you should keep it in the glove box unloaded and secure in case you do get pulled over or checked for anything. That way when the officer approaches you simply say that you do have an unloaded handgun locked inside the glove box and that you are legally permitted to carry concealed in your state and that you are unsure of the Vt. law.

#5 ·
huntnh, It would be best to take a common sense approach, if you get stopped in Vermont or any other state as an out-of-stater do you think it's a good idea to have a handgun strapped onto your side?

I doubt there would be a problem if you did carry it holstered but why take unnecessary risks, keep in mind the officer that stops you has no clue as to your intentions or why you're carrying a weapon.

If you do get stopped, It's Safer for you and the officer if you keep your weapon in your glove box with the clip removed, Be sure to tell any officer that stops you that you are permitted to carry a concealed weapon and you have your handgun in your glove box.

#6 · (Edited)
I don't understand the replys here. The whole reason people get concealed carry permits is for protection. A gun locked in a glove box unloaded is not protection. Do you know what the police call a gun that is unloaded (meaning not having a bullet in the chamber) its called "dead mans carry" because by the time you get it loaded you'll be dead. 38 states respect the concealed carry permits of all states. go to the follow web site to see which states honor your states permit. Handgunlaw.us

#8 ·
Huntnh asked, "my only question is about crossing the state line with a gun. can i do it?"

Huntnh's original question was regarding "Interstate transporting" of his weapon not whether or not he is allowed to carry concealed. carrying concealed and transporting are 2 different issues.

you're welcome to go back and re-read my post along with the "Federal Regulations" I posted regarding "Interstate Transportation of Firearms".

#9 · (Edited)
when I lived in NH and hunted in Vermont,..I always put the weapon on the front seat in open site,..if approached by an officer ,..I let them know that I had a weapon on the front seat,..and that I was permitted in NH,..I would then ask if he would like me to clear the breach and present it,..my whole intent was to convince the officer that I was not a threat,..but a concious gun carrier,..it is still left to the officers interpretation though,..and first interpretations ussually get the call,..and this was for pistol only,..

In the case of hunting season with a rifle,..there better not be a round in the chamber when pulled over in NH or VT ,..they will confiscate the rifle,..especially if it is a conservation officer, and you could lose your right to hunt as well

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.