Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ask because it seems I am hearing about a lot misses with crossbows this year. I still hunt with my Mathews and I think about what would happen if I had a crossbow. They seem to limit your shots because you have to watch the trees and the stand when you shoot. I also wonder if people who shoot crossbows don't practice like they used to and I still try to do. I had someone tell me before season they could just pick up the Xbow and it was right on target.

You would think hunters that hunt with Xbows would score more deer but that has not been my experience. What do you think?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi, so i need some help i dont knw much about archery or crossbow hunting ive only been into rifle my whole life, whats a good cheaper crossbow for hunting deer?

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
I think modern crossbows are an extreemly lethal weapons. I try not to purchase lower end products as most times you get what you pay for. Look at Horton, Ten point, some of the Barnets, PSE ect.

G

·
buckshot i'm thinking with more and more states opening up to crossbows folks are running out buying them and thinking its a gimme. but truth is the range isn't any more than a good compound. the ones i've seem shot are noicy as all get out. where bow hunters are trying to make the bows silent so the deer won't "jump the string". so, too long a shots being taken and "jumping the string" may be the cause. just a guess.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've never been that big of a fan of crossbows...many people end up trying to shoot too far and many times the bolt loses most of its penetration power when you get a long distances, so I have seen/ heard of a lot more deer being wounded and lost because people try to treat crossbows like they are firearms. An example is one friend of mine shot at a small buck at 75+ yards and was surprised he missed it....

·
Registered
19 Posts
I grew up in Ohio and hunted w/ my Horton crossbow since they have been legal there for years. They are deadly accurate but you must practice and ensure you maintane it properly. I've never taken a shot that I wouldn't have had w/ my compound bow. It is different, but it is still bow hunting and the same rules of scent, sound and concealment apply. Taking shots longer than 45 yards is not recommended as has been pointed out that they are a bit loud, but lightening fast.

It's just another avenue to enjoy the outdoors.

·
Administrator
5,708 Posts
make sure you check your state Regulations before buying or using a Crossbow, many states have special requirements.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
they definately are a hotly debated topic.in NY state some want them added to the archery season and others dont want them added.me i like archery season the way it is,does this mean im against xbows?no just they should be added at the end of the bow season or during muzzloader or gun season.even though they have limbs and string i feel they are used more like guns and therefore belong in that season.that said if they make em legal i would buy one and use it.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I tend to agree that many hunters think that they have more range with a Xbow, and take shots that are to far.

Joel we had the same debate in TN before the crossbow became legal, the same arguments you brought up. Everybody thought that the crossbow would kill so many more deer but it hasn't worked out that way. We allow Xbows during archery season and as far as I can tell the harvest is very similiar to what it was before. I think it is all about the money; get people to hunt archery that wouldn't otherwise and sell more permits and licenses. Not to mention the tax revenue into the Pitman-Robertson fund from selling thousand dollar Xbows.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I like the woods to myself during bow season gun season is a free for all and i dont want to see that happen,im selfish that way:surprised:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Crossbows

I have hunted here in Vermont with a Crossbow for 10 years now. I have not gotten any more deer with it than my brother in law does with his compound. The only thing it does is give me the ability to continue hunting during archery season. One still has to be close enough to take a proper shot. 40-45 yards is my max. I can hit a 2" bull at 50 yards from a solid rest but will not take a 50 yard shot offhand at a deer simply because I don't want to misplace the bolt and watch it run off and die someplace and not be found. Those that take the 60-80 yard shots are just irresponsible hunters as far as I am concerned. I practice a lot with mine just to be sure I can hit the target where I want to. Also I have a 4X scope with multi range crosshairs set for 20,30,40,45 and 50 yards mounted on it.

Without the Crossbow my archery season would gone as I cannot pull a compound bow anymore. I have also had to go before a state warden with a doctors written reason in order to get the necessary permit for a crossbow here in Vt. Those that don't like crossbow hunters I hope never get a medical problem that requires you to give up a hunting season.

Sorry to rant on here but it upsets me when people look down on crossbow hunters without fully understanding why we need to use them.
We love hunting and do what is needed to continue to do it.

Thanks for listening and good luck this year to all!

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
A crossbow is all i ever hunted with..
The only advantage is your sitting on ready
But if its not in bow range your not gona get it
40 yards anyday is a kill

G

·
you can hunt with a cross bow here in nh now. they use to be for only those that couldn't draw a bow. now i said anyone can use a crossgunne now in nh; the deal is only to replace a rifle during rifle season following rifle rules. i don't have any problem with them.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
A cross bow is just another weapon for hunting. I don't have any issue with archers that choose to use them as I don't see any more advantage vs a good compound bow. I've owned a cross bow a Horton that was scoped and shot very well, I just didn't like hunting with it. To each their own on this topic.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Michigan and Pennsylvania just made crossbows legal for both of their statewide archery seasons.

A major reason why states are doing this is because our (we hunters) are become fewer and fewer and the deer heards keep getting larger and larger. Make no mistake about it, especially in these times, any way for states to raise revenue w/o taxing is fine by me and if crossbows sell a few more license and deer tags all the better.

As info Ohio has allowed crossbows since 1984 and the herd coudn't be stronger.

Happy hunting.

·
Registered
790 Posts
They started allowing cross bows here in Maryland a few years back with all of the same controversy. Guess what happened -----Nothing. A few guys more got out to hunt and a few guys bought cross bows. Most don't bother to use them because they are much heavier to carry and more cumbersome. Everyone spoke of their speed but with the new speed bows out there now many of which are just as fast or faster the speed factor means nothing. If anything did happen is a few more deer did not get wounded and lost but harvested.
In my opinion it turned out to be good for the sport by strengthening our ranks as hunters. If we think back the same talk happened over in-line muzzle loaders versus flint locks. In this day and age of the anti-hunters if we can get a few more hunters out there I believe it is all good for the sport. If it helps a hunter be more successful in the woods to want to keep coming back in the long run it will be good for all of us.
If we put all of this negative energy towards those whom want to take our sport away instead of against those few extra hunters that will help us stay strong we will only come out ahead in the long run.
Just a thought.:confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts