Deer Hunting Forums banner

Crossbow

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Hunting Man 
#1 ·
Should be here any day now. Looking forward to getting it set up and sighted in. Excalibur Vortex model. I'm going to add the string supression dampers and some Simm's stuff to lower the noise levels. That's the one thing crossbows have in common, noise!

#4 ·
Exciting! Here in NY this coming season will be the first that crossbows are allowed for hunting - however only for rifle and muzzleloader seasons, not bow. I've been looking at them and would like to hunt with one but only if they allowed the use for Bow season. My wallet wont allow that kind of expense when I have good guns for those seasons. It would be a possibility to upgrade my 15 year old compound for bow season.

#5 ·
Got it today and now have it assembled. Looks really cool. It has a 200 lb draw weight. Came with the Excalibur case and the lite stuff package to include bolts, quiver, green/red illuminated crosshair 4x scope. Not sure about the scope but it has adjustment for bolt speed to dial in the yardage compensating marks. I do have a question: The bolts are flat based but I see lots of moon shaped nock bases for the string. Can I switch to a moon shaped nock? Friday afternoon it will see the back yard so I'll give a quick evaluation on it over the weekend.

#7 ·
"I do have a question: The bolts are flat based but I see lots of moon shaped nock bases for the string. Can I switch to a moon shaped nock?" best thing is FACTORY RECOMENDATION. Mine says 1/2 moon nocks only,others say either or.Best to do what factory says Id hate to hear that you changed and something bad happened.string jumping arrow could be bad.with it shouldered like a rifle your face aint far away.

#8 ·
Initial report: easy to sight in. 3rd arrow hit the 3d target heart. Started at 12 yds for safety sight-in moved out to 20 yds, same result. At 200 lb draw the rope pull made cocking the Vortex easy. I did forget how loud a crossbow is when fired so I have to work on that. I purchased some Easton Full Metal jacket bolts with the moon nocks and made no difference vs the flat based bolts that came with it. Tomorrow I'll move the yardage out to 30 & 40 yds. First impression, very nice package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.