Deer Hunting Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im looking for a crossbow for my wife, I dont know alot about them so I need some advice. I want something around $300 so I know there is not alot of choices out there. There is a couple Hortons and Barnetts to choose from but other than that im not sure. My wife is only 5 foot so im worried about the length of pull and i would also like to let me 7 year old shoot it to. Does anyone have any ideas??? Thanks guys Clay

R

·
0 Posts
iits my understanding some of the barnetts are pretty good. pse makes crossbows, the copperhead is one i've heard isn't bad but i don't know the cost. excaliber? they all make crossbows it different price ranges.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
The only bad thing I've heard/read is Horton's trigger pull is very heavy 7-8 lbs. I really would look at other mid priced lines. Parker, Legend, Ten Point now has a mid priced line up also.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I would go with a lower end Horten
Its slower but you can still hunt with it
I won a Barnett in a big buck contest and it was dangerous
It actually blew apart while my wife was practice shooting
I Won a PSE last year it feels good but i haven't shot it yet
I only need a few hours to get it sighted in :w00t: and em ready to hunt

·
Registered
110 Posts
i'm getting ready to get my Barnett from cabelas. I recieved some injuries while serving active duty, and cant pull back the ol' bow anymore (very rarely ill go out with it, but the last time i pulled it back last weekend, i popped the ol' shoulder out and wont be doing that again.). MAKE SURE you check your state laws. i know on most of the east coast, you cant hunt with a crossbow unless you have a certified doc's note stating you have a injury that doesnt allow you to hunt with a regular compound/recurve. i picked up mine from the VA last week. (its good to have a doctor that hunts and understands). i just ordered my Barnett Wildcat C5 from cabelas. its 379.99 for the package, and comes with the crossbow, a red-dot scope, detachable quiver, and 4 20" bolts. its 150 pound draw, and a 4 1/2 pound trigger.ive heard alot of great stuff about it. it only shoots about 320FPS, but that will be more than enough. good luck!

R

·
0 Posts
i'm getting ready to get my Barnett from cabelas. I recieved some injuries while serving active duty, and cant pull back the ol' bow anymore (very rarely ill go out with it, but the last time i pulled it back last weekend, i popped the ol' shoulder out and wont be doing that again.). MAKE SURE you check your state laws. i know on most of the east coast, you cant hunt with a crossbow unless you have a certified doc's note stating you have a injury that doesnt allow you to hunt with a regular compound/recurve. i picked up mine from the VA last week. (its good to have a doctor that hunts and understands). i just ordered my Barnett Wildcat C5 from cabelas. its 379.99 for the package, and comes with the crossbow, a red-dot scope, detachable quiver, and 4 20" bolts. its 150 pound draw, and a 4 1/2 pound trigger.ive heard alot of great stuff about it. it only shoots about 320FPS, but that will be more than enough. good luck!
pretty sure md allows crossbows for anyone during archery now. in nh anyone can use one during the rifle season following the rifle rules or as a bow with dr note

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
Same problem for me and why I came very close to buying a crossbow. I think next year will be the year. I'll need the mechanical cocking device which is around $100.00 additional. 320 fps is still good. Some model are getting up to 350-360 range. but come at a price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts