Deer Hunting Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently read that boiling real acorns (and can substitute acorns for pine-cones/needles) and pouring that water into a spray bottle is a more realistic scent when sprayed on you as a cover scent and and renders great results.
has anyone ever tried this method?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I've never sprayed ANY scent on me whatsoever, unless it's deer pee. And the only place I'll do that is my boots while I walk to my stand. I know there's TONS of things out there for hunters to try, but I guess I'm kinda old fashioned (exception: trail cams!!) I do grunt occasionally though, but rattling I've NEVER had luck with, never! I haven't tried doe bleats either. Scents to me need to be something a deer wants to smell. The problem w/the acorn thing is WHAT IF THERE'S NO ACORN TREES around? Trust me, Deer know if there are or not. and if they are smelling STRONG acorn scent, they know something's up. now, that's not to say you won't get lucky every now and then, but hey, you try it, and I won't. How about that? :)

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
you know... the more i think about it, that does sound like an interesting idea... do acorns have a scent though?

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I was burning leaves the other day under a hickory nut tree and the smoke was AWESOME! those hickory nuts smell great when burned!

---just thought i'd through that out there....

G

·
What are you trying to cover?

Deer have 280 million scent receptors. Thats 80 million more then a dog. That deer can tell you every ingredient thats in your cover scent. As far as covering your human scent its impossible. You are completely surrounded by millions of your skin cells that are flying off you by the millions. If a dog can smell a very small amount of dope wrapped up in ten baggies placed in a jar and put in an air tight chamber under a car from ten feet away. What do you think a deer with a much better olfactory can do?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts